Do you use a weight lifting belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a weight lifting belt?

I never have since the day I started lifting. There just always something in my head that if I need anything other than straps to lift, I shouldn't be doing it. I understand there are people who have had injuries and such over time. But for those who do use wieght belts, but don't have any real problems, what makes you want to use it?
    Last edited by Shibby; 12-22-05, 01:57 PM.

Only on the heaviest of squats or deads. People that use them for every lift are asking for an injury IMO.

Comment

I've never used one before

Comment

Originally posted by Friggemall
        Only on the heaviest of squats or deads. People that use them for every lift are asking for an injury IMO.
        I'm curios as to why you choose to on those lifts?

Comment

I've never used one. I don't think I really need to though. They say using the belt takes things away from the lift, like building a stronger core. I go heavy on squats and deads, but it seems that if my technique is good, I won't get injured. So far so good. I don't use straps either. I like to build the grip.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
            I've never used one. I don't think I really need to though. They say using the belt takes things away from the lift, like building a stronger core. I go heavy on squats and deads, but it seems that if my technique is good, I won't get injured. So far so good. I don't use straps either. I like to build the grip.

I like straps because I don't want to be restricted to the strength of my grip.

Comment

ditto, I use straps on heavy deads, and a lot on back day...I still try to do as much as I can without, but if I start with deads, RDLs, and chins, usually my forearms don't have anything left for lat pulls, b/o rows, seated rows...stuff like that. I could go without them, but not with enough weight to feel it in my back

as for a belt, I don't use it, I'd rather focus more heavily on my form, keeping my abs tight and stuff...I do use it to hang weights when I do dips,though

Ronnie uses a belt, check out the pics of him squatting in the new Flex mag

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                I like straps because I don't want to be restricted to the strength of my grip.
                I know what you're saying, but I think a lot of people have a problem with the grip on deads, because they've always used the straps on things like that and shrugs. I never have, and now my grip is solid. It used to give out first, but I think that not using them has conditioned them. I don't even wear gloves anymore.

Comment

no straps except for heavy shrugs and no belt unless i am attempting a max squat or deadlift which is rare

for stiff legged deadlifts and dealifts if i have trouble with my grip i just stagger my hands and use some chalk

Comment

I only use weight belts occasionally. The occasions on which I would use them are:
                    1. If my lower back is sore from lifting and I want to do squats and I don't want my lower back to limit my squatting.
                    2. I'm DLing a weight I'm not comfortable with and want to just add that added support.
                    I guess that's pretty much it.

Comment

Shibby-

What makes me want to use a belt is for support and the fear of hernia and lower back injury. I only use a belt when I go heavy, which is not that often. More the most part, if your core is strong, then a belt is not as necessary as most people make it out to be, but again, I have seen guys at the gym squat 225lbs and hurt themselves and that's not heavy. For me, I just use a belt for precaution on heavy days for legs.

I see guys using a belt for curls, tri-ceps, etc, which I think is a frickin' joke

Comment

Originally posted by DS-COUSIN
                        I see guys using a belt for curls, tri-ceps, etc, which I think is a frickin' joke
                        Yeah - some people just seem to wear them for the hell of it - for EVERYTHING - I just think that those kind of people make the gym extra fun to go to sometimes - just to see the stupid shit they'll do.......

Comment

:laughnew:
                          there was a guy at my gym a few weeks ago bench pressing wearing a belt

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
                            I only use weight belts occasionally. The occasions on which I would use them are:
                            1. If my lower back is sore from lifting and I want to do squats and I don't want my lower back to limit my squatting.
                            2. I'm DLing a weight I'm not comfortable with and want to just add that added support.
                            I guess that's pretty much it.

Here's my take on this

1. Sounds like your are trying to overtrain and is it really worth the risk if it's that bad? Belts aren't 100% effective

2. If your are not comfortable with it, then why are you doing it? Why do you not have confidence in the lift and your form? If you are trying a heavier weight than before, it's ok to fail, but keep your form to find out the real truth.

^These are not critisms, I am just trying to understand.

Comment

Shibby-

What makes me want to use a belt is for support and the fear of hernia and lower back injury. I only use a belt when I go heavy, which is not that often. More the most part, if your core is strong, then a belt is not as necessary as most people make it out to be, but again, I have seen guys at the gym squat 225lbs and hurt themselves and that's not heavy. For me, I just use a belt for precaution on heavy days for legs.

DS, similar questions as BBaddict. I know no one wants to hurt themsleves. But if you always in fear how can you push yourself to it's limits? I know not everyone is trying to pack on the mass, but I know that's one of your goals. As for the guy that hurt himself with 225lbs, obviously something wasn't right. It's part of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X