Do you use a weight lifting belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shibby
    1. Sounds like your are trying to overtrain and is it really worth the risk if it's that bad? Belts aren't 100% effective

2. If your are not comfortable with it, then why are you doing it? Why do you not have confidence in the lift and your form? If you are trying a heavier weight than before, it's ok to fail, but keep your form to find out the real truth.
    1. If I did deads a couple days ago and then try to do quads, I don't soreness in my back to limit my quad workout.
    2. I can see this one more, but I prefer to be safe. I certainly don't concentrate on form any less when wearing a belt--in fact it's a reminder to stay focused on form. It just helps make sure. I just usually use the belt for the first time at a higher weight than I've done before.

Comment

I'm curios as to why you choose to on those lifts?
      I've herniated a disc before and took forever to heal. I should use a belt just because of that, but I feel it restricts the development of the core. I just feel more comfortable on my heaviest set having that support and for me it helps keep me focused on form. Without it I sometimes loose focus in trying to get that weight up, with it keeps me straight.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
        1. If I did deads a couple days ago and then try to do quads, I don't soreness in my back to limit my quad workout.
        2. I can see this one more, but I prefer to be safe. I certainly don't concentrate on form any less when wearing a belt--in fact it's a reminder to stay focused on form. It just helps make sure. I just usually use the belt for the first time at a higher weight than I've done before.

Ok, I don't necesarrily agree, but this thread is not to debate training techniques, I am just curious about the belts.

Comment

I wear them for heavy squats. I just feel better about going heavy with a belt on for some reason. I can't do deads with a belt on though.

Comment

I use a thick belt for really heavy squats and deadlifts. The reason I wear a belt is so that I can lift heavier weight and maintain a safe and proper form.

For example, with heavy squats, my lower back tends to give at a lower weight than my legs. So, by wearing a belt, I can load heavier weight onto my legs without comprimising my lower back.

Comment

:agree:
              Originally posted by Curls4dGirls
              I use a thick belt for really heavy squats and deadlifts. The reason I wear a belt is so that I can lift heavier weight and maintain a safe and proper form.

For example, with heavy squats, my lower back tends to give at a lower weight than my legs. So, by wearing a belt, I can load heavier weight onto my legs without comprimising my lower back.

Comment

I suppose I'm the only one that regularly uses a belt, I use it for; Shoulder press, squat, deadlift, bent over barbell row, standing barbell curl, hack calf raise and upright rows

I think its mostly habbit now but its ian nteresting point you guys make about core strength, my abs could be alot better in truth

Comment

I only use my belt for the heaviest set of squats; mostly to avoid hernias and spinal damage. I only do partial deadlifts, so I don't really need a belt for those. There is no other purpose for a belt in healthy individuals as far as I'm concerned. As for straps, I use them for two reasons: to work the target muscle beyond the strength of my grip, and because my fiance hates calluses on my hands.

Comment

Here's my take on this

1. Sounds like your are trying to overtrain and is it really worth the risk if it's that bad? Belts aren't 100% effective

2. If your are not comfortable with it, then why are you doing it? Why do you not have confidence in the lift and your form? If you are trying a heavier weight than before, it's ok to fail, but keep your form to find out the real truth.

^These are not critisms, I am just trying to understand.
                    I understand these are not criticisms Shibby-

1. I am not overtraining and I agree belts aren't 100% effective, but that's not what I am looking for. If you are looking for the belt to be 100% of your support to be effective, you are overtraining or just don't know what you are doing.

2. I don't do squats as heavy as I would normally, but the reason for that is potential injury without medical coverage. The belt is more of a precaution for me. When I have medical coverage, I go to failure without a belt, but when I go to a new weight, I try it with a belt first.

That may sound kind of twisted, but that's just how I do it.

Comment

I use one for anything that I feel may hurt my lower back more...as I already have 3 disk bulges in it, and they hurt when I put too much weigt on them. Sucks eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Curls4dGirls

:agree:

im surprised in the answers especially Shibby. you clearly have a medical and/or sports medicine background. it really has little to do with form but lower back support (yes there are exceptions). lower back injuries are devistating and tough to overcome. i have found the belt on heavy lifts a must. anything else in my opinion would be irresponsible. ive noticed it being more of a "macho" mentality not to use them. im curious on how much w8t are you guys using on these lifts. I guess everyone is different and it could be just a preference thing. putting genetics aside loading up 500lbs on the spine isnt a natural load for anyone -lol.

Comment

NYCMitch, I know what you are getting at. After reading alot of these posts, I think there might be times I should have used a belt. I just have it stuck in my head that if I use a belt it's going to take away from the strength. I also have never used one, and I'm affraid if I do I will get dependant on it. Also that I will be doing something small in my everyday life and I will tweak my back because of using a belt sometimes, instead of developing that strength. I always think to myslef, if something happens in the gym then it's part of the sport and I will do better not to scew up. But if it happens outside the gym I will just get so frustrated with myslef for using a belt that one time or so.
                          Last edited by Shibby; 12-23-05, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I use a belt on very heavy squats... Gets in the way on deads and I dont need it for anything else really... I agree that often times people are hurting themselves because they lack good form and too much weight... When i began bodybuilding when i was 13, a belt was part of the program... as years have went by, I got away from it because I thought it was hendering my core strength... I did have to back down poundages on things like squats, but in the end it made my core much stronger.... Gotta hold those abs in when going heavy, not push out against a belt or nothing at all.....

Comment

SC will love this thread with all the "core" talk :)

Comment

I never have since the day I started lifting. There just always something in my head that if I need anything other than straps to lift, I shouldn't be doing it. I understand there are people who have had injuries and such over time. But for those who do use wieght belts, but don't have any real problems, what makes you want to use it?

i rarely if ever use a belt.

Comment

Working...
                                X