alot weaker on one side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alot weaker on one side.

Hi, I have been working out consistantly for a year and 8 months and I have been experiencing good gains, but my triceps are not equal in strength. I am not talking a couple of reps here. I can do double the reps with my left arm. I have switched to doing individual cables and dumbell french curls. Is there anything else I should do? Will it be wrong to work my right side more or less to get the strength and size equal? Tris have always been my weakest muscle and I have been really concentrating on changing that. Also, I hit my triceps once a week with the following:
    4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Close Grip bench(smith) or french curls
    Cable extension(push down)
    Cable extension above head
    dips(gravity machine)

Thanks!!

Concentrate your energies on dumbell exercises or movements that use only one arm at a time. Eventually your weaker arm will catch up. Base the amount of weight and reps on what you can do with your weaker arm, but do the same amount of weight and reps with each arm. That way your stronger arm won't lose any strength, but your weaker arm will gain strength. If you continue to focus on two-handed exercises, your stronger arm will always dominate. You can throw some two-handed stuff in every once in a while, but make one-arm exercises a staple until they're equal strength. That's what has worked for me anyway.

Comment

Starting single arm movements with the weaker arm is a good idea too so that the weaker arm fails before you've already done an extra rep with the stronger arm. I also focus more on visualizing and feeling the movement/contraction more with the weaker arm which seems to help ensure a great workout as well.

Comment

Thanks. I kind of started to do that, but I kept dips and close grip bench in there. I guess I'll throw them in every once in while, and see how that works for me.

Thanks again!!

Comment

dumbells... forces your muscles to carry the same workload... shen you use a bar, your stronger side will take up the majority of the work... i have the same problem.

Comment

Working...
          X