Need Help! Hurts when I run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help! Hurts when I run

So I try to run as much as possible but after a day or two I have to take at least a few days off. It's kind of random how many I have to take off. Anyways the problem is, the day after I run and so on it really hurts in the muscle of my calf. Right on the inside front part of it where it's next to the shin bone. Don't know if this is what shin splints are, never had them before. But is there anything I can do to help my recovery time or stop it from hurting.

you mean the front of your calf? sounds like shin splints... the only way to make it slightly better is to stretch fully before and after running....

Comment

That's shin splits bro. Strethcing will help, but you should also make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. If they're worn down then your legs (knees/shins etc) are recieving too much pressure and not enough absorbtion resulting in strain on the support ligaments and bones. The best advice I've recieved for aliviating shin splints is rest. Use a bike for a while or just cut out cardio for 1-2 weeks until it goes away. Then I would suggest spreading your cardio out. Instead of running two days in a row, take a day off from cardio in between, and then gradually add days if you really want to do more cardio.

cm5

Comment

Def shin splints. I've had them. One way to help ease them if you have someone who can help.....
        Sit on the floor legs out straight and toes pointed. Have someone push your toes downward while you resist. I'm not talking about a strenght contest here, they need to apply just enough pressure that when you resist it you feel the stretch. Hold it for 30 seconds and release. Do this about 5 times a couple times a day.

I can honestly say I have NO clue why this works. Just that I used to get shin splints all the time playing highschool basketball and this always helped.

Now in the times when you don't have them. Always make sure you are working the full muscle extension when doing calf raises etc. Full motion up and down to stretch.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Shibby,

It does sound like shin splints. Like everyone said, stretching is important.

I've run for eons, and every now and then after a month or two lay-off I would get them. I would run through them, and they would go away within 2 weeks.

So, if they are not excruciating pain, might try and run through them along with stretching.

'good luck

Comment

Just for clarification (since it's related to this thread), and I know I could look this up, but it's easier if someone can just tell me. Aren't shin splints extrememly small stress fractures in the shin bone? I'm pretty sure I heard this somewhere when I was in High School (the last time I had them), but I'm not sure.

cm5

Comment

I thnk only in sever cases

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/shin.html

Comment

Originally posted by cookmic5
                Just for clarification (since it's related to this thread), and I know I could look this up, but it's easier if someone can just tell me. Aren't shin splints extrememly small stress fractures in the shin bone? I'm pretty sure I heard this somewhere when I was in High School (the last time I had them), but I'm not sure.

cm5
                No. That's a misconception. It's actually a strain injury of the tendons that attatch the calve muscles to the bone. (shins).

Comment

shin splints are caused by an imbalance between the gastrocnemius muscles and the anterior tibialis. running is the main culprit because it constantly contracts the gastrocnemius muscle with little contraction to the A.T.

the solution is very easy. you must EXERCISE the anterior tibialis muscle. there is a piece of workout equipment called the DARD- dynamic axial resistance device. it is basically something the is on the floor and you put your feet inbetween a bar on the bottom and pads on the top of your feet. there is a bar that extends out that you can add plates to. all you have to do is raise your toes up and I swear within 4-6 weeks you will never have to worry about shin splints again.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
                    the solution is very easy. you must EXERCISE the anterior tibialis muscle. there is a piece of workout equipment called the DARD- dynamic axial resistance device. it is basically something the is on the floor and you put your feet inbetween a bar on the bottom and pads on the top of your feet. there is a bar that extends out that you can add plates to. all you have to do is raise your toes up and I swear within 4-6 weeks you will never have to worry about shin splints again.
                    That machine is BRUTAL! Completely isolates your calves.

Comment

exactly why is works. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
                        shin splints are caused by an imbalance between the gastrocnemius muscles and the anterior tibialis. running is the main culprit because it constantly contracts the gastrocnemius muscle with little contraction to the A.T.

for those who dont have access to a machine like this, alternatives will do like taking 2 small pound plates and stable them on your toes and curl away.

Comment

Since we have declared what your problem is, and everyoen has thrown in their 2 cents about relief, i will revert back to a childhood memory for you

*in the voice of Tinfish's Dad*

"Just quit your damn whining, and run your skinny little ass off and make sure no one beats you to the finish line. Then we can go to Arctic Circle."

Comment

If you are that into running I would stop at a specialty running shoe store and pick up a real nice pair of running shoes. They will look at the way your foot is formed and get the best running shoes for your foot. Ice is the only thing that will help take the pain away, and possibl some vioxx or naprocyn. Rest is usually the only way to get rid of it and then rebuild the muscle around it. I played college hoops and this would happen every once in a while from playing ball on hard outside surfaces. I've seen doctors MANY times for shin splints. MANY TIMES!!! I'm an old man now. LOL And beleive me, this is the route they tell you to take. Ice, naprocyn, better running shoes, then rebuild muscle area as brutha Stoney said. Hope this helps. PEACE! KIR

Comment

Originally posted by Tinfish
                              Since we have declared what your problem is, and everyoen has thrown in their 2 cents about relief, i will revert back to a childhood memory for you

*in the voice of Tinfish's Dad*

"Just quit your damn whining, and run your skinny little ass off and make sure no one beats you to the finish line. Then we can go to Arctic Circle."

:rofl:

Comment

Working...
                              X