No announcement yet.

Torn Labrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I saw your post and signed up so hopefully you still have an account. I had labrum surgery and I am 4 months out. I just would like to know how your shoulder turned out? Can you lift? Can you lift just as heavy as you used to? My surgeon was Yocum who is also a very big name in the professional MLB...

Comment

Update Please

Guys,
      I was curious on an update since this post is a few years old. Last month I tore my labrum 360 degrees around helping someone move a hutch down some stairs. They dropped one side, and instead of letting it go and getting crushed, I caught it and held. No problems there, but the next workout, "pop".

I go in for surgery tomorrow (my only option) and I was wondering if the people who have had this done are back to 100%?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by smackerthebull View Post
        After reading the "why don't you post thread" I figured I'd come out of hiding for this one. I tore mine back in 2001, first swing of my college baseball career. Dislocated my shoulder, and subsequently ripped my labrum all to hell. I tried to play through it but every time I swung the bat my shoulder would dislocate because my labrum was gone. I had no choice but to go for surgery. Needless to say I now have a screw holding my shoulder together and a wicked scar to show for it. The first six weeks were not fun. I had to wear this weird brace that kept my arm in a fixed position at all times, which made sleeping damn near impossible without meds or lots of alcohol. After the brace was off, I started rehab, which wasn't that bad, slow but not painful. I was able to start swinging a bat again 6 months later, which was the time frame for a complete rehab, and was able to go on to have a very successful collegiate career.

If you do opt for the surgery know this. You will never have the same amount of mobility again in that shoulder, and it will always be weaker then your other one. I don't know what it is but any exercises that puts direct stress on the my shoulders, ie. presses, raises etc... my surgery shoulder always ends up giving out way earlier than my non-surgery shoulder. I try to make up for this by adding extra sets to that shoulder alone, in an attempt to beat it into submission, but that hasn't helped much. It seems to be set on a certain amount of force that it's willing to except.

Another thing that's kinda weird that I noticed was my surgery shoulder seems to be pushed out farther from my neck than my other shoulder. What I mean is my trap muscle when facing the mirror front is definitely longer on my surgery side. It's not really noticeable unless I point it out to someone. I mean my wife didn't even notice until I said something.

I've had other athletes tell me that "you're never as good as you were before your last injury." This is somewhat true with a labrum tear, but at the same time it depends on how you approach your rehab and you're training afterwards. I've adjusted and still train just as hard as I used too, only now some things are slightly modified. Anyways, sorry for the long post, still getting that hang of it. Hope this helps you. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
        Originally posted by Detharal View Post
        Guys,
        I was curious on an update since this post is a few years old. Last month I tore my labrum 360 degrees around helping someone move a hutch down some stairs. They dropped one side, and instead of letting it go and getting crushed, I caught it and held. No problems there, but the next workout, "pop".

I go in for surgery tomorrow (my only option) and I was wondering if the people who have had this done are back to 100%?

Any help would be appreciated!
        I think the quote above yours pretty much answers your questions bro. I doubt anything has changed in 5 years. Sucks but just gotta do the best you can with rehab and be smart with training.

Comment

Yes, I had a partially torn labrum from a bench pressing accident about 15 years ago. I didnt know any better because i was so young but i should of went to go get checked out immediatley. I was 15. But I noticed when I would bench press, going to failure, flat or incline; I would notice that my good shoulder could press on but my bad shoulder would ache really bad and I would have to rack the weight. Also when sudden jolting movement occured when I would use my bad shoulder I would have very sharp pain, felt like a knife. Anyway the surgey went well, about two years now and when bench pressing to failure no more aching and its like i could sit in that position forever almost. still strengthening my rotator cuff muscles but all in all Im very pleased with the results.

Physical therapy was painful. The point of this is to get your full range of motion back, which I did. Every time they move your shoulder its that knife feeling pain so its going to suck a little but dont short change yourself. Youll be fine.

You will have full range of motion back but just always continue to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles.

Comment

Working...
          X