What do you think is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think is better?

So, I try and get to the gym 4-5 times a week. During my hour long workout, I will do about 30 minutes of weights, and 20-25 minutes of cardio. At least 3 days a week, I'll go home after work, take my dogs on a brisk 10-15 minute walk, and then hop on the treadmill for another 25+ minutes.

Do you all think it's better to continue to do the 2 shorter cardio sessions of 55+min combined, or do 55+ minutes all at one time, and then do weights after work?

honestly I think you are talking a miniscule difference if you did either one.

Comment

I can't find the article, but I read recently where studies showed that two 30 minute sessions of cardio w/a 10-15 minute break in between burned many more calories than an hour session.

If it is more trouble to do multiple sessions, then stick to a single session. However, if you enjoy breaking it into two shorter sessions, I'd say go for the two sessions. You should burn more calories & I believe you'd decrease the risk of burning muscle.

Comment

just checking....:)

I was just wondering if a longer cardio session instead of splitting it up would be yield more fat loss. I do cardio after I work out w/ weights so my heart rate is already elevated.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
          I can't find the article, but I read recently where studies showed that two 30 minute sessions of cardio w/a 10-15 minute break in between burned many more calories than an hour session.

If it is more trouble to do multiple sessions, then stick to a single session. However, if you enjoy breaking it into two shorter sessions, I'd say go for the two sessions. You should burn more calories & I believe you'd decrease the risk of burning muscle.
          Thanks! But, based on your 1st comment, are you saying I should do 30 min of cardio, then rest for 10-15 min, and then go at it again for another 30 min? I usually go to the gym around 2:30pm, and for my cardio session after work it's usually around 6:30

I actually do enjoy doing the 2 sessions...Much easier to talk myself into doing 2 sessions for a shorter time than almost an hour long cardio date.

Comment

or you could just take your dogs on a longer walk. :P

Comment

Originally posted by redsquirrel View Post
              Thanks! But, based on your 1st comment, are you saying I should do 30 min of cardio, then rest for 10-15 min, and then go at it again for another 30 min? I usually go to the gym around 2:30pm, and for my cardio session after work it's usually around 6:30

I actually do enjoy doing the 2 sessions...Much easier to talk myself into doing 2 sessions for a shorter time than almost an hour long cardio date.
              No, I was just saying that multiple sessions will increase calorie expenditure if you use their logic. I've heard similar things in terms of resistance training as well. That the same amount of worked performed in two workout sessions will equal greater calorie expenditure vs. one workout.

I don't remember if they explained why it occurs. I'm sure others would know much better than I, but it seems to me that once your body is exercising then energy would be more readily available. Take fat for example...it has 3 forms, but would be mainly stored when you start. I'm sure the body has to break it down to allow it to be used as energy. Once the mechanism has started, it probably isn't as expensive for the body to make use of it. Also, having to restore what wasn't used is probably also an expensive process to restore it, so (if any of that is true), you'd be doubling the requirements to make the fat available and store it as well with two sessions. I'm just using fat as an example. I do realize that carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.

So short answer wasn't suggesting to take a break. If I find the article, I'll post it.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                or you could just take your dogs on a longer walk. :P
                LOL...I would, but the Rott is getting old. I think he may have the beginning of hip displaysia. 10 or 15 minutes is about all I think he can take. He's squealed a couple times when shifting his weight, and he seems to have slowed down a bit...

Comment

This has nothing to do with your question - I'm just curious. What are you working towards these days Red? Planning on another show? Or just hitting it hard these days?

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                    Or just hitting it hard these days?
                    Hitting what hard? :D

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
                      Hitting what hard? :D

Umm...cardio? :moon:

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                        This has nothing to do with your question - I'm just curious. What are you working towards these days Red? Planning on another show? Or just hitting it hard these days?
                        Working towards trying to have a baby..

Just trying to lose about 10lbs- the product of the wonderful fertility meds.:wacko:

Comment

Originally posted by redsquirrel View Post
                          Working towards trying to have a baby..

Just trying to lose about 10lbs- the product of the wonderful fertility meds.:wacko:
                          Good luck!

Does your REI know that you're trying to lose a few lbs? Probably not a concern with them. However, I'm guessing you stay pretty lean...maybe leaner than what they would want if you drop 10. While being obese is probably a bigger deterrent to becoming pregnant, being thin or athletic may be an issue as well.

I don't know the ideal BF%, but studies show that a BMI of 20 - 25 is best. For a 5'5" lady that would be 120 - 150.

Comment

Just curious and you don't have to answer this, but are you on fertility meds based on past AAS usage? Have you used before? If so, did it interfere with your baby making ability? I have a female friend who I would like to relay this information to.

Comment

Originally posted by toolwtf View Post
                              Just curious and you don't have to answer this, but are you on fertility meds based on past AAS usage? Have you used before? If so, did it interfere with your baby making ability? I have a female friend who I would like to relay this information to.
                              I don't think it had much impact....It may not have helped with the cause, but I don't think I'm taking the meds now because any AAS usage made me infertile. I had endometriosis about 10 years ago, which I had an operation to take care of. From that point on, I would be on Lupron (which put my body in a menopause state) for 6 months, and then the Pill for 6 months. This went on for about 2+ years after the surgery.

My problem is, I just don't ovulate on a regular basis. And since the endometriosis, I don't think I've ever ovulated regularly. And this was before any "dabbling", shall we say. 2 years ago, I actually was pregnant, but lost her at 20 weeks due to a blood clot that had attached behind the placenta.

Comment

Working...
                              X