Tight rotator cuff muscles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight rotator cuff muscles..

any here have tight rotator/ scapula muscles to the point of burning in the rear shoulder and down the tricep?

never been much of a stretch guy but i feel that i have to start being one as this is really holding me back now.

i probably have a muscle imbalance also, real strong delts muscles etc and weak rotators.

any help with stretches/ exercises that will help i will appreciate it.

Google for rotator cuff exercises. There are a pretty standard set of exercises that physical therapists recommend to strengthen the rotator cuff, especially for people who have hurt them or have had surgery. The exercises are very effective.

Here is a typical set.

Rotator Cuff Exercises -- familydoctor.org

Comment

now will those also help to stretch or are those just to strengthen?

because i feel that i am also extremely tight.

take a look at this for example. Shoulder Dysfunction, Neck Pain and the Scapula at He's Fit

scroll down to the Wall Slide/Stick Ups stretch. can anyone else here do that with butt, back, head, elbows, wrists, and shoulders against the wall? the closest i can get my wrist and hands to the wall is like 7-8 inches away.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
        now will those also help to stretch or are those just to strengthen?

because i feel that i am also extremely tight.

take a look at this for example. Shoulder Dysfunction, Neck Pain and the Scapula at He's Fit

scroll down to the Wall Slide/Stick Ups stretch. can anyone else here do that with butt, back, head, elbows, wrists, and shoulders against the wall? the closest i can get my wrist and hands to the wall is like 7-8 inches away.
        In the down position my hands and forarms are 6 or 7 inches away from the wall as I push them up they get closer until they touch when fully extended. But my shoulders feel like they are going to come out of the socket. Maybe I will practice a while. I have had multiple shoulder injurys and definatly have limited range of motion.

Comment

This is probably a stupid question but does an MRI of the shoulder also include the scapula? Is the scapula part of whats defined as a "shoulder MRI"? thanks

Comment

I didn't looked the link yet because I am on my phone but I recomend you see a good sports theraphy massuse they should be able to get in there and work it out for you.

Comment

I can touch fully against the wall. However, I would assume you have much more should mass than I do. During a Shoulder press movement where is the weight located? Also, this exercise stretches the entire upper muscular frame as well IMO. It does sound like you need to incorporate stretching all around.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                any here have tight rotator/ scapula muscles to the point of burning in the rear shoulder and down the tricep?

never been much of a stretch guy but i feel that i have to start being one as this is really holding me back now.

i probably have a muscle imbalance also, real strong delts muscles etc and weak rotators.

any help with stretches/ exercises that will help i will appreciate it.

Start stretching your muscles pre and post workout, and see if that helps after a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                  Start stretching your muscles pre and post workout, and see if that helps after a week or so.
                  stretching your muscles pre workout opens you up for injury -- warm up only -- stretch after workout

Comment

Originally posted by bigscott View Post
                    stretching your muscles pre workout opens you up for injury -- warm up only -- stretch after workout
                    I always stretch out pre-workout.

what i do is, I run for a few minutes as a warm up to get the blood away from my stomach and start focusing else where. After that a good stretch than hit the weights, than 20min cardio, than i stretch again.

Comment

Senior year in our physiology of exercise class after a shit ton of research for a 15 page paper, we figured out that stretching is most beneficial when separated from lifting all together. I think stretching on its own was the most beneficial, stretching after was 2nd best, and stretching before was ineffective and almost to the level of dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                      X