Thinking of opening a gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of opening a gym

Not in the near future but just putting some ideas together, What equipment would it need?

Clearly the size of the gym would determine how much equipment but there has to be a bare minimum, here's my thoughts;

1 x flat bench press
    1 x incline bench press

1 x cable lat pull down
    1 x low cable row with seat

1 x smith machine
    1 x power rack

Dumbells from 2.5 kg to 65kg,

4 x adjustable benches, plus one for smith and power rack

1 x 45 degree leg press
    1 x hack slide
    1 x leg extension
    1 x seated leg curl

1 x calf raise standing
    1 x cable crossover

1 x treadmill
    1 x eliptical
    2 x bikes

What do you think?

ideally you want additional stuff like hammer pull downs, rows, T Bar, hypers, ab stuff, tricep press downs, seated calves, shoulder press station blah blah:)

yeah, once you go to the trouble of writing it down you find out how much equip you'll need. (and that would be the true bare minimum for a gym)
    preacher curl, dip bars, etc

Comment

the more important and much more costly thing is the rent, taxes, etc.. huge expense in this economy bro.

Comment

yeah am going to wait a bit and try catch things o the bounce, mid to late 2010

Comment

Triple the cardio shit to begin with, that stuff draws a lot of peeps. There are places online with package deals, also with refurbished equipment. Some help with financing. Also look for failed gyms in your area, often them, or the bank sells the equipment real cheap.

Comment

A lot of the bare minimum has to do with the type of gym goers you are trying to cater too. Like liftsiron says, if there are going to be a lot of cardio people, then not having a lot of cardio equipment is going to keep them from joining. If you don't time it right or get unlucky, peoples whole cardio session can be screwed by having to wait. Then if you are going to have a heavy cardio gym, that crowd usually loves group X classes and spin classes.

Comment

What the hell is a KG?

In all seriousness, I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad you asked the question.
              Last edited by NewbieChris; 03-05-09, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
                Also look for failed gyms in your area,
                that alone should tell you not to open a gym in that area. lol

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
                  Triple the cardio shit to begin with, that stuff draws a lot of peeps. There are places online with package deals, also with refurbished equipment. Some help with financing. Also look for failed gyms in your area, often them, or the bank sells the equipment real cheap.
                  Ya, notwithstanding Bouncers' very correct words of caution, I wouldn't be aiming at the Cardio crowd really, just enough cardio to compliment the bodybuilding essence of the gym. I know I know, the cardio crowd supposedly pay more money blah blah (not to being patronising cos I know what people mean) but they also dissapear after february most years and in hard times they're also the first to dissapear whereas us iron mongers wouldn't give up the gym.

I was thinking rent/hire the cardio equipment with servicing and maintanance included, but buy the weights and plate loadeds, benches etc, as you say looking out for gym closures.

One market within bodybuilding that does spend money IMO is the younger guys, they love suplements and if you can get them direct with a good mark up you can make money I'm sure of it.

Comment

All the gyms I go in lately are raking in the cash!

Comment

Unless your only targetting body builders I would add alot more cardio equipment,

It sounds dumb but that stuff attracts girls, hot girls working out attracts guys, which equals more memberships and more money for you,

I know its the last thing a bodybuilder wants to hear but its what you need if you want a good profitable gym

Ben

Comment

Seems like insurance would be a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                        X