The time has come to let certain exercises go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The time has come to let certain exercises go

After twenty years lifting I've built enough of a foundation of strength that in some ways it's becoming a risk. Behind neck press I've been doing since fourteen years old but due to my strength I'm using up to nearly 300lb on it free weight, 250lb regularly and even though I'm not doing it every week, when I do my natural posture is to arch my back and it's really beginning to aggravate, not shoulders, but my back. Upright rows is another, I love this exercise but it's starting to play havoc with my super splinatus, do the heavy close grip version has to go. Bent rows I love and use 315lb, I well keep this but don't do it every week now.

Anyone else got to the stage where with certain previously favourite exercises, the juice ain't worth the squeeze no more?

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
    After twenty years lifting I've built enough of a foundation of strength that in some ways it's becoming a risk. Behind neck press I've been doing since fourteen years old but due to my strength I'm using up to nearly 300lb on it free weight, 250lb regularly and even though I'm not doing it every week, when I do my natural posture is to arch my back and it's really beginning to aggravate, not shoulders, but my back. Upright rows is another, I love this exercise but it's starting to play havoc with my super splinatus, do the heavy close grip version has to go. Bent rows I love and use 315lb, I well keep this but don't do it every week now.

Anyone else got to the stage where with certain previously favourite exercises, the juice ain't worth the squeeze no more?
    behind the nexk presses and uprights do more harm then good. good you stopped them.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
      behind the nexk presses and uprights do more harm then good. good you stopped them.
      Just decided tonight after doing both, I will do some intermittent bnp on smith but no longer risk the instability of free weight. I'll do uprights as a finisher with light weight and wife grip for caps and just shrug dumbbells for traps.

Comment

Good call. Your shoulder girdle has to last you another 59 or 60 years. Got to treat it with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          Good call. Your shoulder girdle has to last you another 59 or 60 years. Got to treat it with respect.
          Exactly scrum, and I feel like I've done enough to lay a very solid foundation. I also shoulder dumbbell press 65kg s, have done heavier but I'm struggling at that to get 6 to 8. I don't actually want to take more aas and eat more to justify it with more reps because I genuinely feel big enough, just want to harden and define do gonna drop to 55s.

My incline bench is at 340 lb for six now and I do want to improve that some but kind of feel like if I drop the others a little I can focus and get better without getting heavier our raking more aas.

Comment

behind the neck presses are just nutz bro never do that. Upright row I still do but very light.
            I also nevr use a straight bar for any chest workouts anymore just dumbells these days.
            shoulder presses I used to use up to 100lbs each side but in my old age I decided to do all exersizes standing and at least 10 rep so alot less weight now 70s are my max but most days i stop at 60s I feel standing also helps my core and the less weight saves my shoulders

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
              behind the neck presses are just nutz bro never do that. Upright row I still do but very light.
              I also nevr use a straight bar for any chest workouts anymore just dumbells these days.
              shoulder presses I used to use up to 100lbs each side but in my old age I decided to do all exersizes standing and at least 10 rep so alot less weight now 70s are my max but most days i stop at 60s I feel standing also helps my core and the less weight saves my shoulders
              I hear you pal, good advises

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                I hear you pal, good advises
                ya i dont think you have anything to worrie about bro you are stong what lil bit you loose you will still be ALOT stronger than most and youll feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
                  ya i dont think you have anything to worrie about bro you are stong what lil bit you loose you will still be ALOT stronger than most and youll feel better.
                  TBH, many of the greats have transitioned and I actually think it will be a positive thing enabling me to concentrate better on targeting the muscle without being concerned about injury

Comment

Both excercises should not be done. They are deprecated.

Comment

I must be weird. Behind the neck presses feel more comfortable on my shoulders. I get pain from doing miltary presses in front.

Comment

Originally posted by BoundToSteel View Post
                        I must be weird. Behind the neck presses feel more comfortable on my shoulders. I get pain from doing miltary presses in front.
                        I used to be the same, maybe its the amount of weight I use now. I'm also dropping the weight a little, dumbbell shoulder press I've been working up to 145s but its got to the point I'm lifting to lift instead of focussing on form so I've dropped to 125 s and get ten our so and my shoulders are on fire

Comment

i was debating dropping squats or deads, the military and maybe even bench. i am beat up but after starting GHRP (on off last few years) and test cycles. I can do them all of it now. feel pretty good too. i changed the way I do some of these movements reps of 315 x 20 on squats vs 405 for 10. that may have helped too

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
                            i was debating dropping squats or deads, the military and maybe even bench. i am beat up but after starting GHRP (on off last few years) and test cycles. I can do them all of it now. feel pretty good too. i changed the way I do some of these movements reps of 315 x 20 on squats vs 405 for 10. that may have helped too
                            315lb for 20 is good bro, very good, I'm squatting tonight to rehab after a torn hamstring as I figure its the best rehab exercise and I'll be doing high rep

Comment

Working...
                            X