High Rep Training Help*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Rep Training Help*

Since getting back into the gym after my injury I decided i was gonna switch it up. Instead of going heavy and working my way back up to triple digit dumbells, pushing more than 2 plates on bench, squats, and deads. I decided I want to give the whole moderate weight (don't really wanna go light weight) high reps. Did a quick search on google and found a couple interesting articles.

Bodybuilding.com - High Reps To Hugeness: Why High Reps & Heavy Weight Is The Way To Grow!

Super High Rep Training (SHRT) | The Labrada Bodybuilding Nutrition Blog

Size and huge mass is no longer a goal for me. Health and lean mass is what I am aiming for.

I know This is right up Scrums alley so I'd like to hear your input on this, but also would like to get some advice on what you guys think is the best way to go about it. I've always only gone big weight low reps so i am kind of lost on this, so any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by COLOSSUS; 06-23-12, 10:37 AM.

Nothing wrong with this style, stretches the fascia, also good cardio vascular, just try and keep your form.

I'd say anything over 20 is excessive. Labrada, Roby Robinson, and some others were always higher rep range, good form advocates and they still look great today, look at Ronnie though!

There's an old saying, "the muscle doesn't know if something is 100lbs or 400lbs, but the tendons and joints do"

this mans that if say you pre exhaust legs with 20 rep sets to failure on leg extension and squat 200lb, it will feel as heavy to the muscle as 400lb if you hadn't pre exhausted

Comment

I love doing high reps. Keep the reps at 20 do four sets and as you get stronger increase the weight in very small increments and continue to do 20 reps and watch your physique transform. :D

Comment

Definitely good to change up, and high reps will definitely increase your muscle endurance. Not convinced they do anything for hypertrophy though. They are great for depletion workouts while carb cycling - pretty much the basis for muscle glycogen depletion, in conjunction with low carbs for liver glycogen depletion.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Thats all I have been doing bro... High reps light/ moderate weight. It takes the injury aspect out of it for my old ass...and I get a really good pump!

Comment

I've been doing high rep stuff lately too and like it. My cardio and muscle endurance are shit so I've stuck with the high rep and super sets a little more to help since I know I won't get on the treadmill, lol. Because of this though, my injuries always occur with high rep stuff. Form breaks down, muscles fatigue, and BAM something is hurt.

All that means is that I'm a lard ass and need to get in better cardiovascular shape and build up muscle endurance. I'm also at the same stage as you. I know I won't be a mass monster or anything close so I'm settling for what I have and just trying to be in better shape. I say that and I just ate fried chicken and mashed potatoes last night. Don't judge, lol.

Comment

Gluten free fried chicken, hmm

Comment

Originally posted by wheyman View Post
                  I've been doing high rep stuff lately too and like it. My cardio and muscle endurance are shit so I've stuck with the high rep and super sets a little more to help since I know I won't get on the treadmill, lol. Because of this though, my injuries always occur with high rep stuff. Form breaks down, muscles fatigue, and BAM something is hurt.

All that means is that I'm a lard ass and need to get in better cardiovascular shape and build up muscle endurance. I'm also at the same stage as you. I know I won't be a mass monster or anything close so I'm settling for what I have and just trying to be in better shape. I say that and I just ate fried chicken and mashed potatoes last night. Don't judge, lol.
                  hell yea good chow....and I would have had a big bowl of frosted lucky charms for desert!!:thumup:

Serously though its working well for me no doubt!

Comment

I switch back n forth 2 weeks high reps 12-15 reps, 2 weeks heavy usually 6 rep range. Keeps me strong and tight. High reps are good imo but both are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                    X