New upper chest excercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New upper chest excercise

Ok two studies were done, the first demonstrated that incline barbell only involved the upper pec 5% over and above flat bench.

The second study showed that reverse, wide grip flat bench recruited a whopping 30% more upper pec over and above flat bench.

so I tried it tonight, great success, you need a spotter to stay with you, possibly help you unrack and return, you press it in an arc fashion towards up over your neck from starting at your sternum.

So you make a movement like you are going to re-rack the barbell on each rep?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      So you make a movement like you are going to re-rack the barbell on each rep?
      Pretty much yes, I only used 220 for 3 sets of 10 to 12 and it really worked

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
        .... reverse, wide grip flat bench...

Don't think my shoulders would like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR0gWRGPoH8
        Last edited by decadecadeca; 02-01-13, 08:24 PM.

Comment

No thanks.

Comment

Ok two studies were done, the first demonstrated that incline barbell only involved the upper pec 5% over and above flat bench.

The second study showed that reverse, wide grip flat bench recruited a whopping 30% more upper pec over and above flat bench.

so I tried it tonight, great success, you need a spotter to stay with you, possibly help you unrack and return, you press it in an arc fashion towards up over your neck from starting at your sternum.
            What type of weight did you start with? I'm assuming light to get the feel of the movement.

Comment

Yeah its not a heavy movement its more.about pressing and kinda pulling with your upper pecs, just started with light weight

Comment

post those studies if you can.

if i remember right it also said pec dec flies activate like 98% of the chest much more so then free weight flies. i remember being surprised at that.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  post those studies if you can.

if i remember right it also said pec dec flies activate like 98% of the chest much more so then free weight flies. i remember being surprised at that.
                  Yeah pec deck does very little for me, I'll fish the studies later

Comment

I'll fish the studies later
                    I give you a chance to contribute to the forum and post something useful rather then troll and you cant be bothered... :disagree:

Here is the article and study. Flat bench was actually the most effective in terms of full chest muscle activation. Peck Deck Machine was second place.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiedn...ffective-chest

Comment

The study doesnt include decline, which I have read In some of Dorian Yate's writing that it recruits more of the chest than any other movement. Anybody hear this before?

Comment

Originally posted by StanG View Post
                        The study doesnt include decline, which I have read In some of Dorian Yate's writing that it recruits more of the chest than any other movement. Anybody hear this before?
                        My objective is the hit the upper pecs

Comment

Originally posted by StanG View Post
                          actually i could have sworn i read in some discussion about this study that decline was way down on the list, something like 40% chest activation only!! i will try and find it.

Comment

Decline is pretty much useless from everything I have read.

Comment

Decent article on training the pecs.

Upper Pec and Lower Pec Chest Exercises For Mass - Scooby's Home Workouts

Comment

Working...
                              X