Bench press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench press

For about a month now my left shoulder starts hurting when I bring the bar down close to my chest and its only with the barbell doesn't matter if I'm pressing flat, incline or decline with the 45lb bar alone it triggers the same spot every time.

The only way to work around this while still pressing is to do half or quarter reps which i find a complete waste of time so I'm making this post to see if anyone else has had this issue with the barbell and to make sure i can atleast keep what pecks i have now by substituting exercises.

Try dumbbells your range of motion isn't as restricted may help
    Originally posted by piratex View Post
    For about a month now my left shoulder starts hurting when I bring the bar down close to my chest and its only with the barbell doesn't matter if I'm pressing flat, incline or decline with the 45lb bar alone it triggers the same spot every time.

The only way to work around this while still pressing is to do half or quarter reps which i find a complete waste of time so I'm making this post to see if anyone else has had this issue with the barbell and to make sure i can atleast keep what pecks i have now by substituting exercises.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely your cuff, I have the same issue, still do.

When I'm ON, it definitely isn't as bad. But being off now for almost 6 months, it is tender as fuck.

Yes with DBs, the pain isn't as much.

Comment

Why I don't bench anymore. Was my favorite exercise but now I have to stick to hammer strength machines.

Comment

first things first. don't do any bench for a month. stick to things like flys just to give the area a little time to heal. second. when you start up again use dumbbells only, fuck barbell bench. 3rd. don't do flat bench or decline bench. incline bench hits the whole chest. decline bench is a thing of the past and puts the body in a position prone to injury. flat bench isn't much better. incline is the king and puts your body in a much better position.

Comment

Agree with Bouncer. Take a break, avoid straight bar bench and use dumbbells and cables.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHVsW_Mzto

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

Did chest yesterday flat dumbbell presses, incline DB presses, incline DB flys and three sets of cable crossovers and today I feel a decent pump & slight soreness with no shoulder issues at all so yeah I'm done with BB bench

Guy in the gym try telling me without bench I'll lose the peck gains I have now and I just laughed & said well keep watching me then. lol

He's that GYM GUY who's 5ft 5, weighs 280lbs, 46inch waist, showing zero muscle but knows every fucken thing about weightlifting. lol

He's got a 275 max [one rep] bench and calls himself a powerlifter.

My buddy calls him THE GYM GUY. lol

Comment

you didn't need to do that flat bench DB's. incline only. just more wear and tear on shoulder. hits the same muscle from a better angle.

Comment

I feel it more in my shoulders with incline than flat.

I haven't done barbell bench since my 20's. With dumbbells I'm able to turn my wrists just slightly and it takes so much stress off my shoulders. Rather than keeping your hands locked in the fixed position with barbell.

Comment

Working...
                    X