No announcement yet.

muscles in a fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW the straight punch utilizes all muscles. It is a pressing motion to deliver, and a pulling motion to stop the technique before hyperextension and to recover. It is mostly larger muscle groups though, like chest and back, to a lesser degree bis and tris.

Comment

Yeah it's mostly technique. Anyone remember about 10-15 years ago Tony Mandarich (an offensive lineman for the Packers) wanted to box Iron Mike (who was then at his prime). It was the dumbest thing in the world. Tony was huge (probably around 350 and a lot stronger than Mike). Mike would have kicked his ass b/c of technique. I wished they would have fought. It would have been hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by d-LiftStyles-b
        Technique aside, if you take 2 guys who share equal technique, the guy who's muscles hold the faster/stronger contraction will win. This doesnt mean that if you lift weights you will be faster by default. You have to lift with a certain technique, train for speed if you will. This is totally not always the same thing as training for mass though, although it will yield limited results in that department. Boxers train for both plyometrics and endurance.
        Right. Your type of training depends on wheather your training your fast twitch or slow twitch fibers. And speed is power. One of my instructors told me this metaphor to prove it. If you take a bullet and drop it in your hand it does nothing. If you take that same bullet and fire it from a gun it will go right through your hand. The only thing that changed was speed.

Comment

actually fast twitch and slow twitch muscles are named wrong. the terms fast and slow refer to fatigue rates. fast twitch fibers fatigue quickly and slow-twitch fibers fatigue slowly. a very common misconception among trainers. the actual contraction times are very similar between the two different fibers.

Comment

depends on how much you want to hurt the motherfucker your fighting--lol

Comment

Originally posted by house1
              depends on how much you want to hurt the motherfucker your fighting--lol
              I always go for the kill, you wanna fuck with me, I'll make sure you remember me for the rest of your life after Im done with ya

besides that Im actually a really nice guy :)

Comment

strength is a part of a punch but it really about accelerating mass to a point past the the guys nose that you are fighting. past? yeah you gotta punch through. some strong guys are slow they have heavy hands but not knock out abilty because they lack speed. they push a guys chin because they cannot apply enough energy fast enough to stun their opponent. (were talking about the difference in fractions of a second) a skinny fella can pop you and it will sting because of the velocity but wont knock you out because he lacks the kinetic energy in his light frame to deliver a knock out punch to a larger person. if you wanna fight train higher reps with explosive movements. this will give you speed and strength. this is just a laymans opinion but i feel it is fairly close.

Comment

power of a punch= speed multiplied by strength. Hence powerlifting is not named correctly. it is brute strength. Olympic lifters are power lifting.

Comment

in a fight...and I can only speak for street fights..the ability to win comes from this order of priority:

-skill
                    -will
                    -strength

Keep in mind that some people can posess just ONE of the above (as compared to their opponent) and be extremely lacking in the other 2 and they will still win the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by criminal intent
                      in a fight...and I can only speak for street fights..the ability to win comes from this order of priority:

-skill
                      -will
                      -strength

Keep in mind that some people can posess just ONE of the above (as compared to their opponent) and be extremely lacking in the other 2 and they will still win the fight.
                      i have to agree with that and how many friends you have with you lol:)
                      and not too mention a bit of luck if there are objects in the area which could make you or your opponent stumble and have an advantage

Comment

Re: muscles in a fight

Originally posted by scotirishamrock
                        does having arm muscles have anything to with how hard you punch? just wondering thanx
                        There are a lot of variables:
                        strength
                        speed
                        biomechincs

Comment

it's all in the mind and how determined you are.

Comment

i heard tirs and chest

i dont have that good of forum and my punch is the bitch

Comment

who needs to fight when you carry a 9?

Comment

Doom,

I'd take ya on any day of the week.

My 50 yd dash Vs. your punch
                                :D :angel:

Comment

Working...
                                X