Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In desperate need of a diet that works

Hi,

I'm a 22 and have been working out for over 4 years. My diet has been awful for the past few months and I really need to get control of it. I'm wondering if anyone can guide me with a diet for fat loss, not muscle.

I'm 5"2, 145 pounds with about 23% BF. My current workout routine is 4 weightlifting days, Mon & Thurs upper body, Tues & Fri lower body with core & plyometics on Wed & Sat. I do at least 1/2 an hour of cardio at the gym from Mon - Friday and also play soccer with 2 hour practices on Thurs & Sunday and a game on Tuesdays.

I workout in the morning at work 7am and don't get home until 6/7 at night so I've been eating on the go quite a bit...lots of Zone bars, salads with egg whites, almonds, fruits or oatmeal. Can anyone please suggest a diet that fits my lifestyle and burns fat?

Thanks,
    Alex

It sounds like you stay pretty busy with your job and working out. That could work in your favor because you don't have time to break you diet if that is all you have with you at work. The biggest tip I can give you is to start drinking lots of water and eat smaller meals...6 meals a day if possible. Plan your meals and take the required food to work. A couple of diet sodas are okay, but don't let them interfere with your water consumption. There are two ways to go about a diet...low calorie and low carb, you know the Atkins, etc. With the low cal diet, you simply have to figure out your caloric needs and consume less. With the low carb, stick to the foods allowed. Either way it will work if you don't try to skimp on the water. When you lose you will be one of the only 5% of those who keep their weight off. The reason is that you excercise and those who do are the 5% able to keep weight off. I always find the fact that 95% gain it back an amazing stat that emphasizes the need for working out. Good luck.

Comment

off hand i'd say cut out all dairy. and i wouldn't even drink any pop. no alcohol, and really try doing that 1/2 hour cardio right when you wake up. maybe add 15 more minutes to it and do a lower to moderate intensity cardio. at my old job our breaks were pretty much on the fly so packets of tuna became my best friend. try that instead of the bars. and limit your salad dressing, hell cut it out if you can. not good with diets but this should all help.

Comment

At the top of this forum there is a sticky giving you advice on how to diet, based on your goals. Please read.

Once you have read it, go get your BF checked. In order to maintain muscle and lose fat, we need to know your lean body mass to make a proper caloric intake calculation. Then we will be happy to design a program.

Comment

Thank you for your replies !!!

I recently bought a scale that measures my body fat. I realize that it's not the most accurate tool, but if I use it according to the instructions it gives pretty close results. My current body fat is 23 %.

Also, I don't use any oil to cook, don't add any dressing to my salads (other than vinegar), don't eat butter or margarine, etc. Don't drink any pop or juice and hardly ever drink alcohol. If I eat any dairy it's only low fat or dry pressed. I only eat whole wheat pasta/pitas/wraps, don't eat rice, potatoes or any other breads. I try to eat fish at least twice a week, other than that my protein comes from eggwhites, chicken breast, tuna or protein powder.

I'm currently not taking any supplements or vitamins but have started putting a tablespoon of ground flax seeds in my oatmeal in the morning to get some Omega 3 in my system.

Any critique would be greatly appreciated, I fell like I'm working too hard not to get any results.

Comment

I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd do it myself, but do me a favor and calculate how many fats, proteins and carbs you are eating in a day; along with your total calories.

Comment

My dinner is the only part of my diet that really varies (or if I'm on the go and I grab a bar) but after calculating what I eat on an average day...I have about 1400 calories, 59% carbs, 16% fat, 25% protein (about 200g carbs, 24g fat and 90g protein).

Comment

Originally posted by AlexU
                My dinner is the only part of my diet that really varies (or if I'm on the go and I grab a bar) but after calculating what I eat on an average day...I have about 1400 calories, 59% carbs, 16% fat, 25% protein (about 200g carbs, 24g fat and 90g protein).
                For starters, your daily caloric intake is around 1300. Your lean body mass is 112lbs. You have about 28lbs of fat to lose. I also
                added in a little extra due to the soccer. So, right now you are eating roughly enough calories to maintain your current weight.

Secondly, YOU MUST EAT AT LEAST 1-1.5 GMS OF PROTEIN PER LB OF BODYWEIGHT EVERYDAY. Especially with soccer, your muscles are craving for some nutrients. If you do not eat enough protein, your body will burn muscle, not fat. you body has been using your carbs for energy, and is never getting to the fat stores. Your carbs and protein need to be swapped out. If you want to lose weight, you need to drop the amount of carbs you are eating everyday. The more protein you eat, allows muscles to grow. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, and so on and so on. Where are your fats coming from?

Comment

Here's my average daily diet, so you can see where my fats are coming from:
                  Morning:
                  1/3 cup oatmeal with 2 tbsps ground flax seeds and 1/2 cup protein powder.
                  Lunch:
                  Large garden salad with 6 green olives, 4 eggwhites
                  Snack:
                  2 cups fresh fruit salad
                  Dinner:
                  3 oz grilled/roasted chicken breast (or fish) with veggies
                  3 almonds
                  Snack:
                  Fresh fruits like an apple/peach/orange etc...or a low fat yogurt cup

Comment

Alex U - check out RS's diet that she gave me.... the thread is "100% Frustrated" She attaches a link. I was up to almost 155lbs. approx 18-19%BF - (was too afraid to check at that point!!) I have stuck to this and I am down to 142lbs - 15%BF. I will swear by it.....gc

Comment

Originally posted by gammachick
                      Alex U - check out RS's diet that she gave me.... the thread is "100% Frustrated" She attaches a link. I was up to almost 155lbs. approx 18-19%BF - (was too afraid to check at that point!!) I have stuck to this and I am down to 142lbs - 15%BF. I will swear by it.....gc

:elephant: :woot:

Progress like that makes it all worthwhile being a mod!!! I'm so happy you are seeing results. Keep up the GREAT work, GC. If you need anymore help, let me know!:)

Comment

wow-- congrats Gamma, that is awesome.

good work RS. that is why you are the best.

good luck AlexU. Stick with RedSquirrel and things will happen for you.

Comment

Thanks Ladies, I appreciate your help.

Quick question, I have ground flax seeds, can I use those instead of the flax seed oil or the capsules?

Also, for the shakes are you just putting one scoop of protein powder, or are you putting two?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexU
                            Thanks Ladies, I appreciate your help.

Quick question, I have ground flax seeds, can I use those instead of the flax seed oil or the capsules?

Also, for the shakes are you just putting one scoop of protein powder, or are you putting two?
                            It's best to take the oil or the caps. It's probable those seeds you have are cooked, which means less nutrients.

2 scoops in the shake.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tin!;)

Comment

Sounds good, what's the difference between the fish oil caps and the flax oil ? What should I look for in buying them?

Comment

Working...
                              X