Just starting out/ratios???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out/ratios???

Hello all. I am new here and am just starting in my training. My goal is to lose about 15 lbs of fat and gain mega muscle mass.
    I am 26, 5'7" and currently 155 lbs. :(
    What my question is, I have read some places that I need to keep my ratios of protein/carbs/fat so a certain amount but seems that everything I read is different.
    Can you give me an idea of what I want to be taking in, while I am trying to acheive my goals? I have started a pretty good workout schedule and will progress on that as my strength comes back, but I need serious help with my diet.
    Thanks a ton!!!

a ratio is very important as well as counting cals. you will find that ratio's come down to a personal opinion so the best way to find out is through trial and error.
    btw... a good starting point for fat loss and muscle gain:
    60/30/10 protien/carbs/fat. carb up a couple hours before the work out and have maybe 20-30grams carbs after, and then no more carbs for the rest of the day(maybe a little salad is okay).
    and get all your fat from fish oil or flax seed.
    god luck girl.

Comment

Thanks a ton! That helps out a lot. I definately need to up my protein, drop my carbs and fat. I am still trying to figure out how to do that. Sounds like it should be so simple and its definately not! :( But I am dedicated to making this work.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by latimer99
        a ratio is very important as well as counting cals. you will find that ratio's come down to a personal opinion so the best way to find out is through trial and error.
        btw... a good starting point for fat loss and muscle gain:
        60/30/10 protien/carbs/fat. carb up a couple hours before the work out and have maybe 20-30grams carbs after, and then no more carbs for the rest of the day(maybe a little salad is okay).
        and get all your fat from fish oil or flax seed.
        god luck girl.
        well said latimer,

it is personal, and it is discovered through trial and error, try and keep a log if you can

good luck

Comment

I would make a change to your ratio: 50/30/20. You HAVE to eat healthy fat (EFA's) in order to lose fat. Essential Fatty Acids are crucial in the quest for fat loss. EFA's can be found in salmon, white fish, flax oil, peanut oil and olive oil...among other things.

You MUST keep in mind, you are not going to see significant changes for at least 6mos...you will see small ones, but not bigs ones. Natty BB'ers it is very tough for them to put on muscle. That's why you see so many women masters win the Olympia..because it takes so much longer for women to build that kind of quality muscle.

As far as the fat loss goes, 90% of how you lose fat is based on what your diet is like. Chicken, lean red meat, fish, sweet potatoes, brown rice and lots of green veggies should be staples in your refridgerator.

Keep us updated, and if you have any other questions- ASK AWAY!!

Comment

Thank you so much RedSquirrel!! That info helps a ton and thank you for telling me to be patient. I already catch myself thinking one day that I am doing so good and have to fight through not giving in on the next.
            I will definately watch my fat and add more fish to my diet.
            As far as the brown rice, this is something that I have always wondered, what is the difference between that and white rice?

Comment

Calorie and breakdown wise they are the same, big difference comes in the glycemic index. Meaning that the carbohydrate portion of white rice will break down quicker than brown rice, any carb. high in glycemic index breaks down very quicily, when this happens your insulin spikes and your blood gets the signal to suck up sugar now asap.

With low glycemic carbs they burn much slower, no spike, and your energy levels and how your body process food works alot more evenly and smoother, thus a more consistent feel of energy throughout the day.

An example of high glycemic insulin spike would be eating pasta or pizza and then an hour later feeling tired. After the spike you crash.

Good Luck

Comment

Ok, that makes sense.
                Thanks a ton Trip!

Comment

Working...
                X