Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend just got a call from the police.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would a complete stranger do that? DO you often get prank calls from people you don't know?

I think it was really the University police.

Comment

no you said that the university police got a phone call from another agency. is that what they told your friend? if it was some other agency that found out and was taking action, why didn't they investigate themselves in conjunction with univ. police?

Comment

Originally posted by Keiser

I think the network admins at your university were monitoring traffic on their network, saw that someone from inside was spending time on elitefitness, asking about steroids, etc.. then they called the university police.

:agree:

Comment

Originally posted by psyko1
          no you said that the university police got a phone call from another agency. is that what they told your friend? if it was some other agency that found out and was taking action, why didn't they investigate themselves in conjunction with univ. police?
          Good question. I don't know. I will question my friend some more about this. When he told me about it, he had just gotten off the phone with the univ. police and was wigging out. He asked me if I had heard anything about any investigations going on. I told him about rumors that EF was being investigated but that was all I knew.

Keep in mind that the surfing they traced of his is several months old. It's not like they were monitering his computer and just caught him on a questionable site and called him.

He is not really into the whole BB thing and really only went to EF a few times at my urging. I figured he should learn a little more about AS before taking them. One of his usernames (he had two) was greengoblin (get the association? spidey, greengoblin, LOL) He used that name to post a joke of sorts on EF. He bet me he could write a convincing enough post to have people shoving fina pellets up their ass. He did too, LOL. I went along with it for a long time but started to feel bad after a while and posted on that thread that it was a joke. His other username that he used to post real questions was something like HOUSE or HOUSE1 or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Keiser
            Here is the deal on this one. Your university is on a network, there is a proxy. When someone from a computer inside the university's network goes outside the network, the ip address of the proxy is what is used. So if they got it from elite, then they would only have the ip of the proxy, traced back to the university. I bet your ip and his ip are the exact same because you are exiting the same network proxy.

I don't know how in the hell they could then trace it back to his individual machine from there. Yes you can get ip's without anyones cooperation, ips are ips they aren't secure, hidden, masked, they are there.

I think the network admins at your university were monitoring traffic on their network, saw that someone from inside was spending time on elitefitness, asking about steroids, etc.. then they called the university police.
            Yeah, I understand the proxy thing. Our labs are right next door to each other too. I have no idea how they could trace it to his machine either but then again, I don't really know a lot about computers.

Like I said above though, they weren't just monitring his usage and happened to catch him on EF, the usage in question is several months old; maybe even older (he hasn't worked there for 4 or 5 months but the usage may have even been a year ago.) They called his house to question him. Why would they wait 4 or 5 months or longer to call him if they caught him surfing there while he was doing it?

Comment

or just someone he pissed off ....I know a few people who had there lives trashed by some who hacked them.....

Comment

Originally posted by LORDBLiTZ
                The Canadian govt don't give a fuck about us, bro. Don't even worry.
                You Said it.

Comment

I just can't figure out why they waited so long to call him on it. I have a few questions for him about this so I will call him tonight after he gets home from work. Hopefully I can be more clear on the specifics.

I really wasn't trying to bash EF. I have never bashed any board and my experiences at EF were mostly positive. I was just questioning whether or not the police could get such detailed info about which boards on EF he frequented and how often and how long he stayed there without cooperation from EF. Again, it wasn't like they were monitering (which I know they can do) and caught him in the act. I know he hasn't visited EF for a very long time; several months at least. The police were questioning him about ancient history basically. If they caught him surfing there months ago, why wait so long to call him on it?

Comment

i agree with radar...someone has a grudge...they wouldn't single out people one by one. That would just give everyone else a chance to get rid of the evidence...no if they were gonna go after people they'd all strike at once...

Comment

Originally posted by grifilken
                      i agree with radar...someone has a grudge...they wouldn't single out people one by one. That would just give everyone else a chance to get rid of the evidence...no if they were gonna go after people they'd all strike at once...
                      That just doesn't make any sense. How would they have gotten his surfing history in such detail from so long ago? No one but me even knew he ever went there and I know I didn't call him. I can't imagine anyone with a grudge against him either. He is a people person and pretty much everyone likes him.

Comment

Admit Nothing,
                        Deny Everything,
                        Make Counteraccusations.

Comment

Working...
                        X