The problems with typical bodybuilding splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
    cutting has nothing to do with training. has only to do with diet and cardio.
    That's not entirely true. Someone who trains 5 hours a week is going to burn more calories through theit training than somebody who trains 3 hours per week. That's probably the major benefit of a typical legs/arms/chest/shoulders/back routine.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Grinder View Post
      I really don't think my arms are getting the work they need as my body adapts to this workout.
      That's because you're used to doing lots of sets for biceps and triceps. Thinks about it though, if you're pre-exausting your biceps and triceps by doing stuff like pull-ups and bench-press, why would you need to do all those sissy-ass isolation exercises? I know they're fun and easy, but do you really think that you need to do tricep press-downs, skull-crushers, dumbell kick-backs, overhead dumbell extensions and french presses to get your triceps to grow? No, you don't. You can get HUGE triceps doing nothing but heavy-ass weighted dips. Then, maybe throw in a set or two of one of those other exercises as a "finisher".

What I see most people in the gym doing is set after set of isolation exercises with relatively little intensity. You can save yourself a lot of time and gain a whole lot of muscle by focusing, I mean REALLY focusing, on the heavy compound lifts and lifting with INTENSITY. Lift like your life is on the line. Like if you don't get one more rep in someone is gonna chop your head off with a fuckin axe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Control View Post
        That's because you're used to doing lots of sets for biceps and triceps. Thinks about it though, if you're pre-exausting your biceps and triceps by doing stuff like pull-ups and bench-press, why would you need to do all those sissy-ass isolation exercises? I know they're fun and easy, but do you really think that you need to do tricep press-downs, skull-crushers, dumbell kick-backs, overhead dumbell extensions and french presses to get your triceps to grow? No, you don't. You can get HUGE triceps doing nothing but heavy-ass weighted dips. Then, maybe throw in a set or two of one of those other exercises as a "finisher".

What I see most people in the gym doing is set after set of isolation exercises with relatively little intensity. You can save yourself a lot of time and gain a whole lot of muscle by focusing, I mean REALLY focusing, on the heavy compound lifts and lifting with INTENSITY. Lift like your life is on the line. Like if you don't get one more rep in someone is gonna chop your head off with a fuckin axe.

Well said...I do only do two exercises per muscle group and i have been seeing gains every 2-3 weeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Control View Post

Control our philosophies parallel each other and I agree with what you say here. In fact I LOVE your statement about INTENSITY. I have made quantum leaps in my physical development following these philosophies. I can't count the number of times I have said to my wife I wish I had learned these things when I was 19. But, neither my calves or my biceps have responded to this type of training. I move some very heavy weights I can curl as much as a lot of guys bench and I don't do isolation exercises but to get size to go along with the strength of those two body parts I have had to resort to adding more reps and low weight for calves and biceps. Every other muscle group has responded with incredible growth. I know you are genetically gifted for arms I have seen you post on this thread you have 20" arms all I am saying is our philosophy works but not all the time on every thing. Genetic predisposition does play a part . It is not an excuse but, it does play a part
          And you really need to make the Intensity statement your signature!

"INTENSITY. Lift like your life is on the line. Like if you don't get one more rep in someone is gonna chop your head off with a fuckin axe."
          Last edited by 3v1lj03; 06-03-08, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• I just can't get that stimulous for the smaller muscle groups from compound movements alone. E.G when I close grip bench press I don't climb off thinking wow my tri's are burning or that really worked deep, whereas I do from pushdowns or skull crush
            Last edited by Mr I; 06-04-08, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• I think I may try this type of workout. I am a college student with access to an awsome facility at school. I go monday through wed skip thur and go fri. So I think my split would look like this
              push
              pull
              legs
              off
              push
              off
              off
              pull
              legs
              push
              off
              pull
              off
              off
              legs
              push
              pull
              off
              legs
              off
              off
              does this sound about right? I have a solid 2 hours to spend in the gym between classes. I will do cardio on the off days. jogging or statioary bike. This really sounds intresting to me.

Comment

Working...
              X