Newbie supplement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie supplement question

I know there is a lot of general information about nutrition and supplementation on the forums, especially from Bouncer, but I was hoping to get some specific advice on my current situation. I am 32 years old, 6'3, 290 lbs. I have about 30 lbs of fat I am wanting to loose, I already have a good amount of muscle so cutting is my main goal right now. At my lean adult weight of 260, ending 7 years ago, because I have worked out and been in sports or the Army until 7 years ago, I looked good and felt good. When I got out of the service my caloric intake kept the same, around 4000-4500 calories a day, but my activity level dropped, resulting in high blood pressure, high cholesterol, I am insulin resistant and I am taking 4 different medications for these things a day.

I have started a new, healthier way of life, I have cut out fast food, fried food, candy and sugary drinks, I have implemented a more rigorous cardio element to my workouts and have cut my caloric intake to around 3000 calories a day. I went to my doctor and asked to get my testosterone checked, it was 360 ng/dl, I assume it was so low because of my unhealthy lifestyle, but it had to be under 300ng/dl for him to intervene, I am 32 and have the testosterone level of an 80 year old but I did it to myself. My buddy is giving me some test and decca, but after doing more research on this site and others I realize that there is better equipment to use in loosing weight and I had nothing prepared for my post cycle therapy. I then found some testosterone replacement clinics, Defy Medical, that are willing to take me on and try to regulate me to a testosterone level around 1000-1200 nl/dl. Its more expensive, only by a little bit, but I will have a prescription and get my blood work looked at regularly.

I will welcome any advice you are willing to give.

:thankyou:

Neither supplements nor AAS will help you lose weight. So, before discussing those things, can you list for us your daily caloric intake and your exercise regimen? Do you keep track of your calories accurately or is your estimate just a swag? I'd bet, pardon the expression, dollars to donuts you are not achieving the caloric deficit needed to trigger weight loss.

Comment

I kept track of my calories for a while with S Health on my phone, that is when I realized that my caloric intake is far too high. Lately I have not kept track but I can see my stomach fat is decreasing. I am trying to eat a lot of fresh vegetables, quinoa, vegetables sauteed in olive oil, fish and chicken, cottage cheese, a lot of oats, a couple protein shakes a day and almonds to snack on at work. I also use Con-Crete creatine prior to my workouts.

I lift 4-5 days a week for an hour and a half to two hours with two of my buddies. Monday we do chest, Tuesday we do a massive amount of dead lifts, Wednesday a large amount of squats, Thursday and Friday are random, typically shoulders, arms back variations. A few weeks ago I purchased a NordicTrak and I have been either walking a few miles or biking for 45 minutes at least 5 days a week.

Comment

I forgot to mention, I eat a lot of baked sweet potatoes as well.

Comment

Looks like you are doing great! If you are losing weight and seeing fat reduction and your waistline reducing, why do you want to add AAS and supplements? Remember, this is "slow and steady." You may not see differences week to week but you should go at it for at least 9 months or a year before you add stuff. I can say unequivocally that you can get to 15% bodyfat, basically flat stomach and no visible fat under tight clothes, with just diet and exercise.

Comment

What do you think about increasing my testosterone through a hormone therapy clinic?

Comment

That is a completely separate question. If it were me, I would wait until I have my weight and fitness at the right level. The endocrine system is complex and I don't know, for example, if obesity and lack of exercise can lower test levels and in your case, if they will naturally recover if you drop the weight and get in shape.

Comment

Anything I say would just be repeating what scrum already said.

Listen to the facts bro. You can't build a bridge on a weak foundation.

Comment

It's not like I am lacking muscle mass, I workout often, I just had a bad diet and did not do cardio. I am wanting to cut, but from what I am hearing, diet and cardio is the best thing for me right now.

Comment

I think you are making good progress and you should keep at it. The only supplements worth considering right now are creatine, which you are already taking, and caffeine as a pre-workout along with some carbs. You don't need anything else. Just make sure you get enough protein (1-1.5x your body weight). Also, run a caloric deficit relative to your daily needs (see the sticky in the nutrition section) of about 500Kcal. That will on paper get you a steady 1lb per week weight reduction. Make fine adjustments as you go along. If you feel you are not losing, you can drop your calories a bit more. If you feel yo uare feeling too weak or losing strength or muscle, bump up the calories a bit. Once again, people ALWAYS underestimate their calories. Make sure you don't fall into that trap. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to estimate your calories to within 100Kcal accuracy as long as you are preparing your meals and using an online program. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas

Comment

Nice Sharing bro

Comment

I think Supplements or AAS will not be effective to lose your weight. Fitness training and balance diet is the best way to lose weight. This way it will take time to get the result but It is better for your health.

Comment

Working...
                          X