No announcement yet.

Steroidology gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggie, I can't wait until the site gets back up and rolling. I think I am going through withdraw.

Comment

Holy! It would appear as thoug EF just got hacked as well. Several threads gone and thread names changed.:confused:
      Last edited by rubberduckyo; 08-28-03, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Im sorry to all who usually spend time at Steroidology and couldnt because it was down today.

I do confess, this mess could have been avoided had I been backing up the database everyday. Although it wasnt something that I even knew about (those who know me know that I am far from a computer buff), I should have asked more questions in the beginning about stuff like that. I shouldnt put the onus on my webmaster to handle everything and for that I am sorry. I guess the only good thing is that this is a good lesson that I have learned and when the site is up on the new server, we will have the site backed up everyday by our host. Although it costs more money to do this, its well worth it. So now if something similar happens, like another attack, it wont matter because we will have a backed up database and we can just import it. The problem was that we got hacked, our last backed up database was from Aug 6th so I just said fuck it and instead of having them try and re-build the database which would have taken some time, I just told them to move us to the new server where we will import the database that we have saved.

I do want to thank The Bouncer and his staff for allowing this thread, which is a little O/T, to remain in this forum so that other members can be notified of what is going on. As soon as Floris wakes up (He is in the Netherlands so the time zones are very different), he will begin to move everything to the new server and we should be up and running shortly after that. I will send out another mass email, although I really hate spamming people like that, letting them know that Steroidology is back and ready to go. It would have been up today but our host had to order in the new server and the shipment ended up getting delayed a day for some reason.

Again, sorry about this and we are working hard to make sure this never happens again.

Comment

Its a shame that someone has to go that low and hack into the site. I think it will only bring more members into Steroidolgy now. Word will get out that someone tried to sabotage the best board on the net, so people will have to come over and check it out :D

Comment

Originally posted by biggieswolls

I do want to thank The Bouncer and his staff for allowing this thread, which is a little O/T, to remain in this forum so that other members can be notified of what is going on.
            Know problem bigg. As far as backing up the site, there is really no need to pay them to do it, its very easy to do yourself. You should do a full backup maybe once a week which takes awhile but a database backup which would have solved your problem only takes 20-30 min, that should be done every night.

Comment

Originally posted by Easto
              Its a shame that someone has to go that low and hack into the site. I think it will only bring more members into Steroidolgy now. Word will get out that someone tried to sabotage the best board on the net, so people will have to come over and check it out :D
              well the best board on the net would be here, steroidology is second. :p

Comment

Originally posted by rubberduckyo
                Holy! It would appear as thoug EF just got hacked as well. Several threads gone and thread names changed.:confused:
                were? i dont see any deleted threads?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                  well the best board on the net would be here, steroidology is second. :p
                  OOPS, I always screw those two up :p

Comment

Know problem bigg. As far as backing up the site, there is really no need to pay them to do it, its very easy to do yourself. You should do a full backup maybe once a week which takes awhile but a database backup which would have solved your problem only takes 20-30 min, that should be done every night.
                    I have been told that backing up our site, considering all the content there, would take up a decent amount of time not to mention it would take up a ton of space. Like I said, Im far from even average when it comes to knowing anything about computers, so I just go by what floris tells me.

The reason I want to back up the forum everyday instead of every week is because Ology averages about 1200-1500 posts per day and about 60 new members per day. If we got hacked, like we did, and the only backup we have is from lets say 5 days ago, thats 6000-7500 posts lost and 300 new members gone.

At the rate this site is growing, I would actually recommend that you do the same, backing it up everyday, because you are in line to lose a lot of posts and members if something similar happened here.

Comment

Originally posted by biggieswolls

The reason I want to back up the forum everyday instead of every week is because Ology averages about 1200-1500 posts per day and about 60 new members per day. If we got hacked, like we did, and the only backup we have is from lets say 5 days ago, thats 6000-7500 posts lost and 300 new members gone.

At the rate this site is growing, I would actually recommend that you do the same, backing it up everyday, because you are in line to lose a lot of posts and members if something similar happened here.
                      Yes, thats what a database backup is. If you have high speed it should take you no more then an hour to do. Thats whats saves members, post, etc. A full back would problly take you a day. lol. But for what your talking about, the database backup is what you want. If you have Cpanel on your server I will show you myself if you like. Very easy.

Comment

were? i dont see any deleted threads?
                        There were a few earlier. Mighta been just karma threads but they are now gone. Alot of thread name changing going on. Take notice who these threads were posted by or involved. Not saying anything. Just take notice.

Comment

Take notice who these threads were posted by or involved. Not saying anything. Just take notice.
                          lol, check your pm. i have no clue what your saying girly. :p

Comment

Yes, thats what a database backup is. If you have high speed it should take you no more then an hour to do. Thats whats saves members, post, etc. A full back would problly take you a day. lol. But for what your talking about, the database backup is what you want. If you have Cpanel on your server I will show you myself if you like. Very easy.
                            I do have one question here, B. Is it general practise for mods to have access to the main control panel? ie: they can ban members with out the admin getting involved? If so, could they not very well do as they pleased in there? Not an accusation. Just an observation.

Comment

I do have one question here, B. Is it general practise for mods to have access to the main control panel? ie: they can ban members with out the admin getting involved? If so, could they not very well do as they pleased in there? Not an accusation. Just an observation.
                              well that depends on how admin sets it up. only admins have access to the main control panel but mods have there own control panel. it dosent have as many features but they can still bann members.

Comment

Thanks. I've been wondering that, B. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X