Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wise man of the board has spoken.

Comment

The documentary I was referring to in my previous post is called "The Human Family Tree." It is available for streaming on both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

Also available in 10 parts on Youtube - link on page below:

The Human Family Tree | Watch Free Documentary Online

Very highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
        I can't say I have personal experience with this kind of stuff, but education surely is important. Can you teach her about genetics, about how there is more genetic diversity in a small chinpanzee population in West Africa than in all of humankind. There's a fantastic documentary on this topic where a scientist takes cheek swabs of a couple hundred people in a farmers market in Queens and traces their path out of Africa. Pretty amazing results followed- this guy who looked black and thought of himself as black actually had genes that traced out of the Caucasus. The point of course is how inconsequential things like features and color are. Also talk to her about the important contributions of women to humanity - Marie Curie, Rosalind Franklin, etc etc, poets, musicians, etc.

Teach her about meritocracy, about how the only things that should matter in a post racial world are your deeds and your intellect. Teach her about how the injustices of the past- racial discrimination, the Holocaust, all the pointless jihads, crusades and pogroms were such pointless wastes of time and human energy. Teach her about how she should care about the downtrodden everywhere in the world, about how we will never know how many Einsteins die in childhood in third world countries for want of clean water or vaccinations, their potentials unrealized.

Teach her about empathy and to NEVER judge a person superficially. Then explain to her why the lyrics in these songs, misogynistic and racist and pointless, are the antithesis of what we should be aspiring for.

Take her on trips to museums, especially ones where the sins of the past are reexamined. IMO education is far better than anything punitive.
        :tired: yeah thats really gonna engage a ten year old, fuckin dip shit, get a clue lol

Comment

You have no clue. There's a way to introduce these ideas without boring them. My 7 year old diesnt have a problem with it - don't see why a 10 year old would.

Comment

You have no clue. There's a way to introduce these ideas without boring them. My 7 year old diesnt have a problem with it - don't see why a 10 year old would.
            I agree. I was fascinated with history as a child.

I remember reading book after book about the Titanic when I was a kid (example on my mind due to the anniversary).

I was also reading about Anne Frank when I was 10, so age doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
              :tired: yeah thats really gonna engage a ten year old, fuckin dip shit, get a clue lol
              Please don't raise children.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000

Please don't raise children.
                Or animals....

Comment

Hmm....

Scrum and Dago = two totally different people, different lifestyles, different parenting styles. Dago teaching his daughter about the genetic makeup of a chimpanzee might look good on paper to some, but in reality, it's probably not going to happen. So I get where Mr I would think that would be completely boring and don't think it means he should never parent. It's hard trying to parent a child, especially alone. You want to do everything right. I know I'm far from brilliant, and wish I could say I was as educated as Scrum - but my ninth grader is in all advanced classes, has been invited to attend college over the summer and be dual enrolled in the fall. I really can't ask for much more.

Unfortunately, parenting doesn't come with a handbook. Every child is different, every parent is different, and lord knows you have NO idea what situations you're going to find you and your child in. I think we all just do the best we can with what we have because you can never be fully prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                    Unfortunately, parenting doesn't come with a handbook. Every child is different, every parent is different, and lord knows you have NO idea what situations you're going to find you and your child in. I think we all just do the best we can with what we have because you can never be fully prepared.
                    :clapback:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                      :rofl::retard:

you are a master troll.

Comment

yea you have to do it a certain way though. i always learned very well from teachers that made it fun. however, certain classes i had teachers who were very by the book and as soon as you walk into class they would say "open your books to chapter 14 blah blah" and my mind would just shut them out and i could not learn anything from them fucken stiffs.

Comment

Hmm....

Scrum and Dago = two totally different people, different lifestyles, different parenting styles. Dago teaching his daughter about the genetic makeup of a chimpanzee might look good on paper to some, but in reality, it's probably not going to happen. So I get where Mr I would think that would be completely boring and don't think it means he should never parent. It's hard trying to parent a child, especially alone. You want to do everything right. I know I'm far from brilliant, and wish I could say I was as educated as Scrum - but my ninth grader is in all advanced classes, has been invited to attend college over the summer and be dual enrolled in the fall. I really can't ask for much more.

Fair enough. My only point was that by teaching kids at an early age how to have respect for others, not to judge based on external features and to understand how human beings have screwed up in the past, you will lay a good foundation for her.

I don't have daughters but I think it is especially important for girls. Girls in our society (actually most societies) are so programmed to settle for less, to emphasize looks over accomplishment, etc. I think it is doubly important to ensure that girls develop the self-confidence that they can be just as successful in pursuing their goals.

Comment

Dago teaching his daughter about the genetic makeup of a chimpanzee might look good on paper to some, but in reality, it's probably not going to happen.
                            :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dago is a nice fella but he is no sophisticat. :rofl::rofl:

Comment

Fair enough. My only point was that by teaching kids at an early age how to have respect for others, not to judge based on external features and to understand how human beings have screwed up in the past, you will lay a good foundation for her.

I don't have daughters but I think it is especially important for girls. Girls in our society (actually most societies) are so programmed to settle for less, to emphasize looks over accomplishment, etc. I think it is doubly important to ensure that girls develop the self-confidence that they can be just as successful in pursuing their goals.
                              I absolutely agree with you :)

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                                yea you have to do it a certain way though. i always learned very well from teachers that made it fun. however, certain classes i had teachers who were very by the book and as soon as you walk into class they would say "open your books to chapter 14 blah blah" and my mind would just shut them out and i could not learn anything from them fucken stiffs.
                                Learning from the book is bullshit. Won't work, especially for kids. You have to take them places. Watch documentaries. Explain stuff to them. Show examples of people who beat the odds and who are worth emulating. Show examples of places where humanity failed miserably. Experiential learning works far better.

Comment

Working...
                                X