No announcement yet.

Site upgrades and moving to the cloud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site upgrades and moving to the cloud.

Our current server is almost 8 years old and is a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with. Time to update and in doing so, move to the cloud. Basically all that means is that things become much easier to manage and upgrade in the future. There may be some hiccups or downtime in the transition process but I don't anticipate much of a problem.

Over the coming months we will also be upgrading software and just bringing the site up to date in general. More secure, faster, and easier to use. Picture management is something I definitely want to improve here. The current setup is clunky and inefficient. It should be as simple as pressing an upload button and everything just working and being automatically resized to fit the page. That's what I'm aiming for.

Getting the site better setup for mobile browsing is also something I'm looking forward to. The current app is ok but it's not brilliant by any means.

By the way, I'll be doing this shit myself instead of paying someone to do it like in the past. Time to learn how to do this shit because being more knowledgeable with server/code/customization can only be beneficial for me. No reason I haven't learned already other than laziness.

Comment

Updates and changes will be listed in this thread as we go.

Comment

Sounds good, as long as it doesn't affect us or the board ;)

Comment

My aim is to improve the board in every way. That includes content. Iv'e been lazy with the site in general.

Comment

Cool beans

Comment

Can you do something about the members too? I don't like any of them. :grin:

Comment

How about Tapatalk? Far better than Forum Runner. Renders images much more reliably, "like" functionality works, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                  How about Tapatalk? Far better than Forum Runner. Renders images much more reliably, "like" functionality works, etc.
                  Yup, and also making a mobile version of the site in general to work better in browsers.

Comment

Cool. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. I'd offer help if I knew anything about this subject matter but I'm pretty useless here.

Comment

nice one. who are you going to host it with?

Comment

Ok guys, the transition to the cloud server will be tonight. site may go down for a bit. no worries. the ole shit site will be back online in no time! :P

Comment

You're working fast!

Comment

they were laughing at me at the server place. the current server we've been on is Pentium 4 based. Anyone remember Pentium 4?!? Haha, i had a Pentium 4 computer in high school, bitch was top of the line!

Comment

Originally posted by henry View Post
                              nice one. who are you going to host it with?
                              softlayer

Comment

Working...
                              X