Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 to be free for all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blm View Post
    Not a good start so far. All my family user accounts were deelted upon install. And there appears to be a bug when trying to add them back.

"sorry, something went wrong, try again later"
    try updating the passwords of those accounts. once you change the password it should log you in no problem.

that's the fix iv'e read about that helped a few others with this problem.

let me know if it works.

Comment

Those accounts are completely non existent. Only accounts not deleted were those with administration rights; my account. Wife's, daughter's, and guest accounts were completely removed.

Comment

were they all microsoft accounts? windows 10 needs a microsoft account.

iv'e not read of any bug that actually deletes accounts in any of the tech sites.

Comment

User accounts

Yes, that is a feature I'm already not fond of; requiring a Microsoft account just to create a user account.

There may be ways around it or features as an alternative but frankly I haven't had the time to read about it or sit in front of the computer and figure it out.

Comment

Found this tutorial if anyone wants to do a fresh install How to do a clean install of Windows 10 (from Windows 7 and 8) | Ars Technica

Comment

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out | BGR

Comment

"Actually, here’s one excerpt*from Microsoft’s privacy statement*that everyone can understand:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."

Comment

Not surprising or nontypical but it still makes me say "wtf".

At least you can opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
                    "Actually, here’s one excerpt*from Microsoft’s privacy statement*that everyone can understand:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."
                    yea gotta admit, that's a bit scary.

privacy is becoming a thing of the past. we put a ton of trust in these companies, lets hope they are responsible.

Comment

Faster booting, smaller footprint make Windows 10 an easy upgrade for old PCs | Ars Technica

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                        yea gotta admit, that's a bit scary.

privacy is becoming a thing of the past. we put a ton of trust in these companies, lets hope they are responsible.
                        Responsible? I have zero faith in that. Privacy is an illusion.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Comment

fuck your signature and your XT1096 piece of shit.

Comment

Just saw that. It comes back automatically if I log out.

Comment

Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy | Technology | The Guardian

Comment

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to distribute patches (a torrent seeder of sorts)...

"Windows Update Delivery Optimization" is an on-by-default setting in Windows 10 (home) that uses YOUR upload channel to speed up patch distribution to other people. It is essentially bittorrent in a wrapper.

If you live in a part of the world where monthly caps have to be monitored carefully this may come as an unwelcome surprise. It is also unclear how MUCH of your upload bandwidth this feature can use. From the poor bufferbloat results from our*html5 speedtest, most subscribers will find their whole internet slows to a crawl if their upload channel is occupied.

Microsoft have said the upload uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth however it is unclear how they know in advance what your upload bandwidth actually is. My upload bandwidth (for example) is a paltry 1 megabit. Perhaps they have incorporated some kind of testing in order to not only take less than that, but also relinquish it when it is used for other purposes? or perhaps they thought most people won't notice."

Comment

Working...
                                X