No announcement yet.

Interesting Facts, Thoughts, and Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. student loan borrowers as a group are paying down about 1% of their federal debt every year. It’s as if a former student were reducing the balance of a typical $30,000 college loan by only $300 annually. At that rate, it’s almost unthinkable how long it would take to repay the government: a century.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-student-loans

Comment

Amazon now delivers nearly half of its orders, compared with less than 15% in 2017, according to estimates from research firm Rakuten Intelligence. It is now handling an estimated 4.8 million packages every day in the U.S. … The U.S. Postal Service, once the primary carrier of Amazon parcels, delivers about half the share of packages than it did two years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OG-DC788_201908_16U_20190828170928.gif
Views:	72
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	988154

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-ama...d=hp_lead_pos5

Comment

The New Servant Class

Relationships between the classes, once mediated through the household, are now managed through an app that serves a large metro area. The workers of the new servant economy don’t live with their employers, but rather sleep many miles away where they can afford a bedroom. “You could argue there was a more benignly human quality to the old aristocratic relationships,” the economist Muro told me. “Today’s platforms strip down what was once a job into simple, seamless transactions.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ervant/595774/

Comment

Optimism > pessimism because more people wake up every morning aiming to make the world more efficient than wishing to screw things up.

Guidelines > rules, because the world changes faster than textbooks.

Reasonable > rational, because you’re a human, not a machine.

Comment

Joe Rogan, who currently has the most popular talk show podcast with over 200 million downloads per month. This number comes from Joe himself¹, but let’s assume he was exaggerating and it’s only 100 million downloads per month.

Assuming he sells ads at a low $18 CPM (cost per thousand listeners) and sells out his ad spots, he’s making approximately $64mm in annual revenue. If he’s on the higher end, at $50 CPM, he could be making as much as $240mm per year².

https://medium.com/@awilkinson/howar...f-1b721cc2f3f2

Comment

Comment

The views of a Nazi soldier in occupied France -- propaganda is a hellevua drug:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen%20Shot%202019-09-12%20at%201.57.10%20PM.png
Views:	71
Size:	765.7 KB
ID:	988652

Comment

The information you shared in this thread is an eye-opener for me. I would not learn any of this info in my entire existence if I have not found your post. Thanks!

Comment

Keep the info dumps coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead View Post
                        Keep the info dumps coming.
                        glad someones reading. i try to post shit in this thread that really makes you step back and think for a sec. not just your typical boring piss.

Comment

Information is power, and a ill informed population is a captive population.

Comment

In 1998 Jack Welch (chairman and CEO of General Electric, NBC's parent company) passed a note across the table to Jerry Seinfeld. “$5 million per show” it said. Extending Seinfeld for a 10th season would have earned Jerry $110 million.

He declined. He was done with the show.

Seinfeld noted that there was only one way to find out where the show’s true peak was—by hitting the downturn, something that didn’t interest him.

Jerry told the New York Times: ‘‘I wanted to end the show on the same kind of peak we’ve been doing it on for years. I wanted the end to be from a point of strength.”

Comment

Why did Seinfeld turn down the money? Well, he was already rich. But part of the reason he quit, he later said, was because the show was based on recreating real events from his and Larry David’s normal life. And they put so much time into the show that they were running out of material, because it had been so long since they’d experienced a normal life. Watching people order at a deli. Or what happens when you board a plane. Building comedy around mundane observations didn’t work when they had no time to observe.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X