No announcement yet.

How many sets do you guys do for delts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do two pressing movements, two working sets each, the first is either db press, bnp, smith to the front, second is always universal machine press, two sets side lateral db , two sets machine side lateral, for sts machine rear our two and two starting we db, then traps just doing shrugs of some sort

Comment

Here is what I have been doing on my push days:

DB bench press - 4 working sets, changing up with incline DB press from one week to the next
      Dips - 4 working sets
      DB Lateral raises - 3 working sets
      DB Bent over lateral raises - 3 working sets
      DB Tricep behind-the-neck extensions - 3 working sets
      Tricep pushdowns - 3 working sets

I might up the delt stuff a bit based on this thread.

Comment

So no shoulder pressing? Laterals will get you width, not depth, for that you need shoulder press

Comment

I hate shoulder presses. I don't know what it is, but I seem to injure my shoulder more often doing the DB shoulder press than any other exercise. Maybe I'm going too heavy? Dunno... will add it back in and see how it goes.

Comment

Mr I is right. Front raises suck. Any chest pressing movement uses as much front delt as chest.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              I hate shoulder presses. I don't know what it is, but I seem to injure my shoulder more often doing the DB shoulder press than any other exercise. Maybe I'm going too heavy? Dunno... will add it back in and see how it goes.
              Posture is wrong probably, try doing the fly so first and pre exhaust before presses

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                Mr I is right. Front raises suck. Any chest pressing movement uses as much front delt as chest.
                Exactly, my front delt so are pumped after a chest workout and burning as is my chest of course. Also after shoulders without front raise. If your on loads of drugs then I guess theres less risk of over training and injury but other wise its inefficient and puts your bicep tendon and shoulder at risk.
                Last edited by Mr I; 12-22-11, 01:12 AM.

Comment

shoulder/trap - weights in kg

11:10am
                  Shld press 40-10, 40-10, 40-10
                  Lat raise db 10-12, 10-12, 10-11
                  Front raise 15-10, 15-10, 15-6
                  Rear row 22.5-10, *22.5-10, 22.5-
                  DB shrug 50-10, 50-8, 50-9
                  Cable lat raise 8.75-12, 8.75-12, 8.75-10
                  Cable shrug 50-10, 50-10, 45-15
                  Cable front raise 10-8, 10-8, 10-8
                  11:56

But if your doing push/pull I would do front delt on push and rear and middle on pull. You have to split them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                    Here is what I have been doing on my push days:

DB bench press - 4 working sets, changing up with incline DB press from one week to the next
                    Dips - 4 working sets
                    DB Lateral raises - 3 working sets
                    DB Bent over lateral raises - 3 working sets
                    DB Tricep behind-the-neck extensions - 3 working sets
                    Tricep pushdowns - 3 working sets

I might up the delt stuff a bit based on this thread.
                    They key is variation. You're natural, vegetarian, and have a fucked up shoulder?!?!?. With that said you might want to keep the volume low, but train intensely.

With the shoulder being fucked up you may notice less pressure if you did some incline work for chest instead of flat.

Unless Chest/Shoulders/Tricpes are your best bodyparts you may want to split them up working shoulders alone or with traps/abs/calves etc.

If not I'd do:

Incline barbell bench; 2 warmup, 2 work sets
                    Flat machine press; 3 working sets
                    Pec dec with handles not pads; 2 working sets

Side laterals; 10lbsx10, 15lbsx10, 20lbsx10, 25lbsx10, 30lbsx10 all after one another
                    Smith Machine Press (may alleviate a little stress on your delts) 3x10
                    Machine press hands inward supersetted with rear delts 3x10

Triceps pushdowns 3x10
                    One arm dumbell xtension 3x10

7 sets for chest
                    7 sets for delts
                    6 sets for triceps

20 sets total. Too few for each bodypart IMO. That's why I can never do a complete push/pull rotation. Too hard for me to get all three in on the push day.

Comment

(Assuming you do traps with your back)..(I do not). You could also hit rear delts on back day to do another exercise where you are lacking...

Comment

Working...
                      X