Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one of your late night chats with your pal ehh? :D

Comment

It's interesting to me because I can relate. 2008 he suffered a prolapsed disk (not sure if it herniated and unknown if he had the op I did). That year his back looked less than 07.

Now when mine went you know the score it jammed in the nerves causing damage. Word is a similar thing happened to dennis. So with me the nerve damage to my sciatic nerves left side has left me with partially cut off signal below the knee. So if the same thing happened to dennis this may explain the calf atrophy.

Perhaps it prolapsed in 08, and the same disk has now blown out/herniated.

My guess is he's been desperately working the lower lat low back area too hard

Comment

Man I tell ya, it's scary how easily we can all be seriously injured from seemingly something "small" like a slip of a disk. Can go from being a human god in the gym to a fucken gimp just like that. Lesson for me is lift heavy but lift in a strict controlled manner. No twisting and jerking, no ego lifting, no stacking tons of weight on your back.

steroids clearly give is so much strength that we pull our bodies apart.

Comment

well i wish Dennis the best. hope he can get it taken care of. I always liked him and thought he had tons of potential.

Comment

Certainly mistakes or accidents can cause problems.

But the top guys that treat me said "tgere is no greater incidence of back problems with weightlifters than any other group of society"

There you have it.

That being said; leverone, Coleman, flex etc all squatted heavy at least early on, all complained it was squats that did it.

With wolf I know after 07 they had him squatting and deadlifting.

What's heartening for me is the more I dug the more I find out about big names among bbing and more so powerlifting having had the same problem. But guess what, they all make a return and get back to it.

Always seems to happen to the taller guys not the midgets

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post

Always seems to happen to the taller guys not the midgets
              rado being the exception.

Comment

Deadlifts are what got my disk herniated. I was going super light too. Just using 135 for slow and controlled reps to warm up. I probably shouldn't of been doing them that day though because I just finished helping a friend move the day before. Lifting couches up flights of stairs and moving all kinds of heavy furniture. My back was hurting a little bit from all that but I never let a little pain stop me from lifting. Well what happened stopped me from a lot of lifting for the next few years. I knew I hurt my back that day, but the next day I woke up and couldn't sit up and get out of bed, I had to have my gf help me. When I would walk my right leg would go numb and collapsed as I took a step. Went and got an MRI....herniated disk L5 S1

Comment

What fixed it? Just rest?

Comment

Originally posted by epix00 View Post
                    Deadlifts are what got my disk herniated. I was going super light too. Just using 135 for slow and controlled reps to warm up. I probably shouldn't of been doing them that day though because I just finished helping a friend move the day before. Lifting couches up flights of stairs and moving all kinds of heavy furniture. My back was hurting a little bit from all that but I never let a little pain stop me from lifting. Well what happened stopped me from a lot of lifting for the next few years. I knew I hurt my back that day, but the next day I woke up and couldn't sit up and get out of bed, I had to have my gf help me. When I would walk my right leg would go numb and collapsed as I took a step. Went and got an MRI....herniated disk L5 S1
                    You haven't mentioned this before?

Comment

SM Drama at it best:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Comment

You haven't mentioned this before?
                        I mentioned it in your thread when I brought up the Nucleoplasty. I had that procedure done on myself thats why I thought it was worth bringing up

So basically after I herniated the disk. I went through a series of steroid injections (4 of them). They offered me absolutely zero relief. So they started to wonder if it was just the disk they could see in the MRI and if I had more than one herniation. So they did a procedure called a discogram (A discogram is a diagnostic procedure in which x-ray dye or contrast material is injected into the discs of the spine. After the x-ray dye is injected, an x-ray, called a discogram, is taken of the discs. The discogram may be normal or may show tears, fissures or other damage to the disc)

They determined it was just the original disk (L5 S1). So after about a year from the injury date they decided to do a nucleoplasty to it (Nucleoplasty, also known as percutaneous discectomy, is a minimally invasive procedure for treating patients who are suffering from low back and leg pain caused by a herniated disc. It involves removing tissue from the disc to relieve pressure on the affected nerve.)

After this procedure my back felt 100% better and I no longer had any sciatica. It absolutely worked. I was able to train as normal without adding in anything to stressful on my back such as deads or squats after about 6 months of physical therapy after the surgery. I ended up getting in a car accident about 3 years after, since this accident my back has not been 100 percent. It is probably about 70-80 percent better, but the sciatica is completely gone still.

I still don't do certain exercises even though its been about 7 years since my procedure and 8 years since the original injury. It flares up from time to time, but it is nothing like it was from when I first originally injured it. I also had another serious injury and surgery that causes chronic pain to my leg. This injury/surgery affects me more than my back at this point, but I will talk about that another time since it is unrelated to this post.

Comment

Your first procedure is a smaller version of what I had. As for what followed I'm sorry you had to suffer like that. Believe me I can empathise

Comment

Your first procedure is a smaller version of what I had. As for what followed I'm sorry you had to suffer like that. Believe me I can empathise
                            Thank you. I definitely empathize with you as well. I know you will adjust your training properly and get the physique that you want. While certain things may be out of the equation for awhile, adapting is certainly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by epix00 View Post
                              Thank you. I definitely empathize with you as well. I know you will adjust your training properly and get the physique that you want. While certain things may be out of the equation for awhile, adapting is certainly possible.
                              It's just really cool of you to take the time to lay it all out. Many wouldn't have bothered but it really helps seeing other lifters experience

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...651378412&fs=1

And this is why posts like mine and epix are relevant and useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X