No announcement yet.

Is out reasonable to leave a dog at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girl is a boxer/labrador mix. 50 pounds. Shes indoors, in general she's a low energy dog, but she gets bursts of energy and wants to run and play. I work from home so it's not an issue. Boxer/Lab is a great mix.

Comment

I have a boxer too. 90 pounds of energy. We have 3 acres so he gets to run all day long when it is nice outside. He never wants to come inside.

Also, if you have hardwood floors make sure you're ok with him destroying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
        Also, if you have hardwood floors make sure you're ok with him destroying them.
        I resolved that issue with my boxer and our new wood floors. Soft paws!!! I feel like personally visiting the inventor and bowing down to them. My wife and I were a wreck less than a month into installing $4k of new hardwood in the living room Duke destroyed 2 planks from dashing out the door to get lizards outside. His back paws would slip and he would dig in with his claws; literally shredding the wood.

The things are such a simple idea. They are hard rubber caps that glue (non toxic) to his claws. Cost $20 and take 10 minutes to put on. They last up to 8 weeks before they start to naturally fall off from nail growth and depending how much time they walk on hard surfaces like concrete.

It's awesome. I can finally walk into the house again without a knot in my stomach wondering if he is going to get over excited and tear up the floor. :thumup::thumup::thumup:

Comment

blm, that's interesting. My fear is that they would only last for a couple days for my boxer. We take him on lots of walks and he is always running outside. I never have to cut his nails because he wears them down himself.

I guess it's worth a try. But then again our hardwood floors are already scratched up not sure if it really matters. lol

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
            I resolved that issue with my boxer and our new wood floors. Soft paws!!! I feel like personally visiting the inventor and bowing down to them. My wife and I were a wreck less than a month into installing $4k of new hardwood in the living room Duke destroyed 2 planks from dashing out the door to get lizards outside. His back paws would slip and he would dig in with his claws; literally shredding the wood.

The things are such a simple idea. They are hard rubber caps that glue (non toxic) to his claws. Cost $20 and take 10 minutes to put on. They last up to 8 weeks before they start to naturally fall off from nail growth and depending how much time they walk on hard surfaces like concrete.

It's awesome. I can finally walk into the house again without a knot in my stomach wondering if he is going to get over excited and tear up the floor. :thumup::thumup::thumup:
            and they actually stay on? between the running around and my boxer licking his feet etc.. i would be afraid he would chew them off.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
              and they actually stay on? between the running around and my boxer licking his feet etc.. i would be afraid he would chew them off.
              Duke licks his paws obsessively because of the sand here irritating them but it doesn't affect them. It's basically super glue. You have to use nail polish remover to get it off of your fingers when you're done. He doesn't gnaw at them. He has pretty much forgot that they are on. The instructions say that some dogs require an adjustment period and they might chew at them initially but Duke didn't. I can't express how much of a success story they are for us. I literally feared walking in the house, letting him go outside, or even playing with him because of the damage his claws were causing. That's a horrible feeling knowing how bad your dog wants to be a dog but you have to keep him calm. I can only imagine how many people have got rid of their large dogs for this very reason. :fight:

Comment

Duke licks his paws obsessively because of the sand here irritating them but it doesn't affect them. It's basically super glue. You have to use nail polish remover to get it off of your fingers when you're done. He doesn't gnaw at them. He has pretty much forgot that they are on. The instructions say that some dogs require an adjustment period and they might chew at them initially but Duke didn't. I can't express how much of a success story they are for us. I literally feared walking in the house, letting him go outside, or even playing with him because of the damage his claws were causing. That's a horrible feeling knowing how bad your dog wants to be a dog but you have to keep him calm. I can only imagine how many people have got rid of their large dogs for this very reason. :fight:
                yea we have hardwood floors throughout the whole house now but scratches seem to be minor. my biggest fear is the dogs slipping and hurting themselves etc..

i let them rip around in the back yard and then they are calm in the house. then again mine are a bit older then yours so maybe a little less energy.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  yea we have hardwood floors throughout the whole house now but scratches seem to be minor. my biggest fear is the dogs slipping and hurting themselves etc..

i let them rip around in the back yard and then they are calm in the house. then again mine are a bit older then yours so maybe a little less energy.
                  That's the thing, Duke isn't a typical energetic Boxer. He has always been real layed back. It's just little short bursts where he plants his feet or when he gets super excited and does the twisted body "so happy to see you" Boxer dance and his feet slide back and forth. I figured if there was this much damage while we are being conscious about it, what happens when Madison gets older and chucks a ball down the hallway and he takes of like a rocket. I could just see it like a cartoon...boards flying up in the air behind him, lol.

Bottom line, if you have issues with a large dog tearing up wood floors. Try them. They're cheap and just might work as well for you as they did us.

Comment

I could just see it like a cartoon...boards flying up in the air behind him, lol.
                    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Comment

That's the thing, Duke isn't a typical energetic Boxer. He has always been real layed back. It's just little short bursts where he plants his feet or when he gets super excited and does the twisted body "so happy to see you" Boxer dance and his feet slide back and forth. I figured if there was this much damage while we are being conscious about it, what happens when Madison gets older and chucks a ball down the hallway and he takes of like a rocket. I could just see it like a cartoon...boards flying up in the air behind him, lol.

Bottom line, if you have issues with a large dog tearing up wood floors. Try them. They're cheap and just might work as well for you as they did us.
                      mine is the same way .. burst of energy ... run around the yard a few times then plop his ass down ... and if you let him in the bed he will sleep all day

Comment

My dog stays tied outside on the car port when I go to work she can go one end to the other and get out in the grass to shit. I put up a beware of dog sign. She sleeps in kitchen at night on her doggie bed.

Comment

Working...
                        X