Looking to get a small hatchback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a small hatchback

I'm finally thinking that after 198,000 miles, I am ready to make my 91 Civic my winter beater and get a new car.

Not a high roller like you guys, so I really want to get a hot hatch. I have it narrowed down to the Ford Fiesta ST or the Focus ST. Both 6 speed manuals, 195 vs 260 ponies. I'll get the loaded package with the recoraro seats. The Fiesta is getting rave reviews for performance and the Focus is the European model, brought over here with 5 doors.

Any opinions?

Ha, good timing. Just watched this today.

http://youtu.be/533Pc7824PY

Its a good car.

Consider a vw golf gti also.

Comment

I say focus. Fiesta is too tiny.
      And good picks by the way. :thumup:

Comment

Beast, agreed on the size, but I have been reading that the Focus has some pretty major torque steer, while the Fiesta is more well balanced. There's such a thing as having too much power in a fwd, I guess. I'll do a test drive and see what I think.

Not a big fan of VWs, B! Had a few in the family and every one was a POS, leaking more oil than an abcessed Greg Valentino.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          Beast, agreed on the size, but I have been reading that the Focus has some pretty major torque steer, while the Fiesta is more well balanced. There's such a thing as having too much power in a fwd, I guess. I'll do a test drive and see what I think.

Not a big fan of VWs, B! Had a few in the family and every one was a POS, leaking more oil than an abcessed Greg Valentino.
          :laugh:

I vote for the focus.

Comment

What's your price range scrum.?

Comment

Under 30 grand bro.... honestly the less the better. I do want something that has performance, and the ST Fiesta and Focus seemed like fantastic bang for the buck cars. I will look at the Mazdaspeed3 too but I don't know of anything else at this price point that's better.

Comment

Fiesta Video.....

Peugeot 208 GTi vs Renault Clio 200 Vs Ford Fiesta ST - Top Gear - Series 20 - BBC - YouTube

Looks pretty good too!

Comment

How about a used low mileage one of these? I think they stop making them for the 2014.

2012 Subaru WRX STI: The Best Sports Car for the Money? - Ignition Episode 17 - YouTube

Comment

scrum the fiesta is fruity bro. you dont want that car.

Comment

Haha.. it's too small anyway, I think. I'll probably test drive both anyway. Gotta be out of town Sat and Sun, but I might drop by the dealership on Monday if they are open and check them out.

Comment

My sister was just looking at the Focus Titanium.

Why not another Civic? They hold their value much better than a Ford car and you already know they last forever.

Comment

I 2nd the Gti golf. Best small car out there

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                            I 2nd the Gti golf. Best small car out there
                            After our last diaster with a Passat, I swore we''ll never get another VW. I know the GTI is very good and there's a new one coming out next year, so this is more an emotional thing against VWs for me.

And FB, the Civic was my wife's car from before we got married. It's a solid car and keeps going and going, but it's a bit boring. I sold my AWD Mitsu Eclipse turbo (great car!) after we had kids because it had an unusable back seat, so I kinda miss a performance car with a close ratio manual gearbox.

Comment

Scrum you've been smart and conservative your whole life. Get the focus, put a little pep in your step! You can have fun in that car when the mood strikes you... Yet it can be driven in a calm and relaxed daily driver type of way the other 99% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X