Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 to be free for all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care about customability, I care about programs and browsers functioning with ease. Seems like apple is the way to go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
      Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to distribute patches (a torrent seeder of sorts)...

"Windows Update Delivery Optimization" is an on-by-default setting in Windows 10 (home) that uses YOUR upload channel to speed up patch distribution to other people. It is essentially bittorrent in a wrapper.

If you live in a part of the world where monthly caps have to be monitored carefully this may come as an unwelcome surprise. It is also unclear how MUCH of your upload bandwidth this feature can use. From the poor bufferbloat results from our*html5 speedtest, most subscribers will find their whole internet slows to a crawl if their upload channel is occupied.

Microsoft have said the upload uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth however it is unclear how they know in advance what your upload bandwidth actually is. My upload bandwidth (for example) is a paltry 1 megabit. Perhaps they have incorporated some kind of testing in order to not only take less than that, but also relinquish it when it is used for other purposes? or perhaps they thought most people won't notice."
      easily turned off.

How To Turn Off Windows 10 Update Delivery Optimization Feature | Redmond Pie

Comment

I've pretty much become an expert at turning off back round "features" because my little netbook is so underpowered I do everything I can to speed it up.

Yea, all the spy shit is on by default but at least we have the option to turn 90% of it off.

Comment

So I got this a month or so ago. I had issues with it once upgraded. Took the option to go back to previous version. Now my laptop is completely fucked. It can't find the operating system during start up.

Would it be worth it to take it to geek squad?

I took off everything I wanted to keep before starting the conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by TKD View Post
            So I got this a month or so ago. I had issues with it once upgraded. Took the option to go back to previous version. Now my laptop is completely fucked. It can't find the operating system during start up.

Would it be worth it to take it to geek squad?

I took off everything I wanted to keep before starting the conversion.
            Can you boot from a recovery disc?

Comment

I don't have a disc

Comment

Boot from a USB drive. Download torrent of windows 10 pro onto another computer and install on USB drive. Take USB drive, plug into broke computer, power on, and hit f12 then boot from USB and it will start the installation. That's what I did when my windows 7 computer got fucked and lenovo wanted to charge me $75 for recovery disk. Fuck them, I did it myself.

Comment

I don't want to put torrent on the new laptop. I will see if I know someone that has one already.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                  X