SLOW CLEAN bulk - thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLOW CLEAN bulk - thoughts

So I want to do a clean bulk in 2012. Emphasis is on CLEAN, so got to go slow.

I am currently about 139lbs at about 11% BF. I want to gain 7-8 lbs of muscle without ANY fat gain, so hopefully I can end up at 147-148lbs while at 10% BF or less.

I am thinking of a push/pull/legs/upperbody 4 day split. I will be doing 1 hour of fasted cardio 5-6 days a week. Generally 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps per set.

On the nutrition side, I am thinking of running a 250 Kcal calorie surplus on workout days and maintenance on rest days. Macros will be 40/40/20 C/P/F.

I have concerns. Is the cardio plan good? As I get older keeping fat off while gaining muscle is definitely harder. I don't want to overdo the calorie surplus and gain fat. Basically need to walk the thin line between gaining muscle and fat, and not gaining anything at all.

Note I am natty and no plans to change. Also not taking any supps other than caffeine.

I know my goals are different from most on this board but opinions and advice welcome. Looking for any must-dos and do-not-dos based on your experience. I thought about doing a round of UD2.0 but my current work schedule does not allow for it.

As I mentioned, time is not critical. I have all the time in the world - don't want to rush it and end up gaining fat.
    Last edited by Scrumhalf; 12-13-11, 03:29 PM.

Scrum, I'm kinda in the same boat..trying to bulk clean over the next year or so. I want to maintain this small waist and the lean look. Im trying for 1 lb a month..if I can do it. I have been maintaining at current level for 2 months now... jan I'm bumping up the cals a bit and gonna see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by rado
      Sorry no help for you small guys:D
      Or thin guys.

Comment

So whats the diet?

Comment

I am vegetarian, so it's basically oatmeal, veggies, brown rice, nonfat cottage cheese, tofu and protein shakes, spread out over 5 meals. I will write it up later if it will help. Most of my carbs are consumed between 7am and 5pm. Dinner is usally low carb tortillas, stir fried veggies and cottage cheese.

Fats are from peanut butter and flax oil.

Shooting for about 250 Kcal above maintenance, about a 40/40/20 C/P/F split.
          Last edited by Scrumhalf; 12-13-11, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rado
            Sorry no help for you small guys:D
            Lean brother..lean...:pissed:

Comment

Scrum, your the most knowledgable nutrition resource on this board, so I don't think many people could give you advice. My unqualified and limit experience based comments would be:
              1. Quinoa - lots of it for u veggo's
              2. Cut back on the cardio when bulking if you are ectomorph
              3. Squeeze in a few cycles of UD2 - I am also not able to stick to it due to real life, but I squeeze in 1, 2 or 3 weeks of it when I can and I find 1 and 2 weeks gives awesome results - for me it gets less effective the longer I'm on it.

Comment

I think gaining 10 lbs while dropping bf% for someone that has been doing it for awhile is hard. Now take into account your vegetarian diet, age, lack of supplement use like creatine, whey, etc, and the fact that you are natural.. I won't lie to you, you have a lot of things working against you.

I think you can do it with hard work but I feel that you are going to have to eat more then you are comfortable with.

Comment

First question is with your current diet and training are maintaining your weight or losing any at all? If you are maintaining your weight you need to find out exactly how many calories you taking a day currently. Then have to increase those calories by about 20% pretty much all protein with some carbs (whatever your protein source is) and that should be your starting point. Don't make it to complicated it's not a rocket science.
                  And you should start lifting little heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
                    you need to find out exactly how many calories you taking a day currently. Then have to increase those calories
                    bro you are talking to scrum, not some newb, he clearly knows this based on all the help he has given to people in the nutrition forum.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                      bro you are talking to scrum, not some newb, he clearly knows this based on all the help he has given to people in the nutrition forum.
                      I don't care who he is, answer never is different. Calories in calories out. You take more than you burn you'll gain simple is that. If he is looking for a different answer there isn't any. (for a vegetarian and a natty anyways)
                      And I bet you 10 bucks scrum doesn't know his exact daily calorie intake number.

Comment

i dont think he is looking for a different answer at all. read the questions in his post bro.

and yes i would bet scrum knows his daily calorie intake.

this is just one of the hundreds of threads that give you an example that he clearly knows the basics of calories in calories out.

http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...-numpty-novice

maybe if you read more then gen chat most days you wouldnt underestimate scrum so much you fat fuck.

Comment

You are just an idiot who just wants to argue. I don't need to read shit. Thread is titled I wanna gain weight. If he knows the answer why the fuck he made this thread for?
                          Scrum...you wanna know how you can gain some lean muscle? EAT SOME FUCKING MEAT!!!

Comment

You are just an idiot who just wants to argue. I don't need to read shit. Thread is titled I wanna gain weight. If he knows the answer why the fuck he made this thread for?
                            Scrum...you wanna know how you can gain some lean muscle? EAT SOME FUCKING MEAT!!!
                            thread is titled "slow clean bulk thoughts" and he specifically asks about his training an cardio.

Comment

And I bet you 10 bucks scrum doesn't know his exact daily calorie intake number.
                              i bet $100 you dont even know how many cals you had for breakfast other then the fact that it was probably around 1500cals consisting of sausage, cheese, cream, and sugar. now gtfo and stfu. :weights:

Comment

Working...
                              X