No announcement yet.

SLOW CLEAN bulk - thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of responses, thanks! I'll try to address the questions one by one.

Beast, come on bro... :) I know that it's calories in vs. calories out. I rarely eat out, I use fitday religiously, I probably know to within 50 kcal on any given day what my intake is.

I have been maintaining my weight to within about 1-2 lbs for the last 6 months. I weigh myself every Monday evening and I have been at 139.5 lbs for the last 3 weeks. So basically, I am holding steady.

I am going to bump up my calories by say 250 or so and see how that goes, and adjust as I go along. I definitely realize that you can't add weight without increasing calories. The reason for me making this thread was for tips on how to do this SLOWLY WITHOUT ADDING ANY FAT. I know that I can do things like UD2.0 but right now, my schedule is not conducive to that.

The general wisdom is that for an experienced lifter, it is not possible to add muscle without some fat as well. I am questioning that. Is it possible for a natural lifter, through careful macro control and judicious use of cardio, to add say 5-7 lbs of muscle without any fat increase? That's what I am going to try to do - just wonderinf if anyone here had experience with this and had any do's or don'ts.

I am open to other supplements. Creatine a good idea? I have a tub sitting on the shelf in my kitchen - just need to start using it. Anything else? And no beast, I am not going to start eating meat. There may be some intangible benefit of meat, but if I can manage my macros without meat, I question whether this is a major disadvantage.

Comment

scrum, add the creatine. 5mg per day post workout. best to have it with a sugary drink, i use it with grape juice and whey in my PWO shake.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
        thread is titled "slow clean bulk thoughts" and he specifically asks about his training an cardio.
        You are lucky you are not next to me right now. If you were I'd punch you in your numb scull. Wtf does clean bulk mean to you? Guy just wants put on some lean muscle he even says he wants drop some bf. my first post says up your clean food intake a bit and lift little heavier. Wtf else is out there? Wtf are you arguing for?

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
          Guy just wants put on some lean muscle he even says he wants drop some bf. my first post says up your clean food intake a bit and lift little heavier. Wtf else is out there? Wtf are you arguing for?
          That's exactly what I intend to do. Add more calories, mainly carbs. I am already consuming 1.5g/lb of protein, so I don't intend to increase that. Fats will continue to be low. What's a good creatine dosage? You take it post-workout, right? Do I need to cycle it?

Doing 1 hour of low impact cardio about 5 times a week.

That's pretty much it. Anything else? Beast, I thought you would reach into your personal trainer bag of tricks and give me some more pearls of wisdom bro... :)

Comment

scrum, add the creatine. 5mg per day post workout. best to have it with a sugary drink, i use it with grape juice and whey in my PWO shake.
            Thanks, bro. Will do.

Do you cycle it? I've read elsewhere that it loses effectiveness unless you come off it for a while. Is that true? And do you use it only on workout days?

Comment

You are lucky you are not next to me right now. If you were I'd punch you in your numb scull. Wtf does clean bulk mean to you? Guy just wants put on some lean muscle he even says he wants drop some bf. my first post says up your clean food intake a bit and lift little heavier. Wtf else is out there? Wtf are you arguing for?
              you and rado share many things. one of which is IQ level.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                Thanks, bro. Will do.

Do you cycle it? I've read elsewhere that it loses effectiveness unless you come off it for a while. Is that true? And do you use it only on workout days?
                i dont cycle it no, i just use it on workout days though.

is whey protein off limits to you or no? i agree with the general "real food is best" mentality but not for PWO. i think whey and sugary drink like grape juice mixed with creatine gives your muscle exactly what it wants much faster then any real food meal.

Comment

i dont cycle it no, i just use it on workout days though.

is whey protein off limits to you or no? i agree with the general "real food is best" mentality but not for PWO. i think whey and sugary drink like grape juice mixed with creatine gives your muscle exactly what it wants much faster then any real food meal.
                  Whey protein is cool. In fact, I get pretty much all my protein from whey and cottage cheese. Without them, I'd quit lifting and become a marathon runner.. :rofl:

One of the problems of being a vegetarian in this game, is that it is impossible to hit a 50/30/20 P/C/F or a 40/40/20 P/C/F macro split without things like whey and cottage cheese but also low in carbs. There are veggie protein sources like lentils, quinoa, tofu, etc. but they have either a lot of carbs along with the protein (lentils) or a significant amount of fat (tofu). There's no vegetarian equivalent of chicken which is just protein and nothing else. That's why I rely on whey shakes and cottage cheese so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rado
                    And also nice things and nice bank accounts...boom!
                    beast lives in Compton in a place without a washer and dryer. only good thing about that fat piece of shit is he is a good father and has a nice calm roll with the punches type attitude. other then that he is a sack of shit. :clapback:

Comment

Whey protein is cool. In fact, I get pretty much all my protein from whey and cottage cheese. Without them, I'd quit lifting and become a marathon runner.. :rofl:

One of the problems of being a vegetarian in this game, is that it is impossible to hit a 50/30/20 P/C/F or a 40/40/20 P/C/F macro split without things like whey and cottage cheese but also low in carbs. There are veggie protein sources like lentils, quinoa, tofu, etc. but they have either a lot of carbs along with the protein (lentils) or a significant amount of fat (tofu). There's no vegetarian equivalent of chicken which is just protein and nothing else. That's why I rely on whey shakes and cottage cheese so much.
                      then for PWO have around 50 grams whey protein, 70-75 grams of carbs from grape juice, and 5 grams of creatine.

what have you been doing for a PWO shake? just whey and water or what?

Comment

Just whey and water right now PWO. I have read that as long as you have eaten carbs pre-workout within a couple of hours, your insulin levels stay spiked, so haven't bothered with the grape juice. It may be something I can add.

Comment

First question is with your current diet and training are maintaining your weight or losing any at all? If you are maintaining your weight you need to find out exactly how many calories you taking a day currently. Then have to increase those calories by about 20% pretty much all protein with some carbs (whatever your protein source is) and that should be your starting point. Don't make it to complicated it's not a rocket science.
                          And you should start lifting little heavier.
                          Sorry Beast didn't address your points clearly in my earlier posts. I am already consuming 210g of protein a day, which is about 1.5g/lb of body weight. Are you suggesting I increase it further when I add the extra cals? I was thinking of adding more carbs.

I am already lifting as heavy as I can for 8-10 reps. It is lower weight than when I was doing 4-5 reps earlier in the year, but it is what I can manage with good form. I take meticulous notes on my lifting every workout, so I know exactly what I did last time and can build on it.

Comment

Just whey and water right now PWO. I have read that as long as you have eaten carbs pre-workout within a couple of hours, your insulin levels stay spiked, so haven't bothered with the grape juice. It may be something I can add.
                            na bro, i disagree with that 100%. you are missing out on a valuable window PWO when your muscle are like a vacuum. thats not just bro science that i have read either, that is real world experiance with myself. i know you have it in your head that sugary juice is "bad" but not in that PWO window it isnt bro. trust me and try it for a month. if you dont notice anything then do it your way.

Comment

Sounds good bro.. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Scrum check this link out.

Creatine is myostatin blocker

Comment

Working...
                                X