No announcement yet.

Joining the Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many carbs are you taking now? You'll definitely need to up it later, but right now, if you are getting about 40% carbs, you are probably going to be ok.

Comment

Whats general service officer mean? a grunt?(infantry)....

Comment

Australian Regular Army fitness test is 5 test each with minimum. 5 km run in under 28 mins (18 mins gets you 100 - done that only twice). 12 chin ups (20 for 100 points - can have break as long as you are hanging from bar). 60 crunchs (100 for 100 points - everyone gets 100 for this - 5 mins to complete and can tie break). 60 back raises - ho hum easy. 50 push ups over 5 mins.

Most of basic training will be spent "shuffle jogging" or forced marching with a pack on. Over three months you will only do 3 runs in trainers without boots, riffle and webbing.

I ran basic as officer 20 years ago. Plenty of high carb food - all you can eat 3 a day.

Final test will be 15km forced march/ run with full pack 40 kg webbing and rifle which will include obstacle course, bayonet assault course and finish with live firing exercise target shoot in 1.5 hrs.

Although you might be tempted to stick your hand up for squadron machine gunner - DON'T DO IT - you hardly get to fire the 60 and it's twice as heavy as the austyre rifle and you'll be lugging it for 3 months. Basic is in kapooka wagga wagga.

Once your in if you want to test yourself - attempt the SAS Carter course but remember it is physical as he'll but the real test is mental. That's in Perth.

I would suggest putting 30 kg in a pack and going for shuffle jogs of around an hour every 2nd day. Don't worry too much about the faster running. Some size is good when carrying packs etc.

Things may have changed a lot in 20 years but I dont think it has.

Comment

One other thing. If the tern, or coming off it, causes u acne on your back I'd drop it now. Webbing and packs don't mix with back acne. It gets really ugly and out of control. Delisted guys before because they couldn't carry because of back acne. Also, tren fucks ur fitness - or so I've read. From what I have read primo would not fuck u aerobically - could be wrong.

Don't know the term "general service officer" but you will be off to duntroon for 9 months if joining as officer rather than basic training for 3 months at kapooka. If your doing duntroon course, scrap that pack humping advice, and go back to proper running. Lots of quick 5 - 10 km runs without gear at duntroon. Bit more relaxed. Less shouting and screaming. More studying.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyingWolf View Post
            One other thing. If the tern, or coming off it, causes u acne on your back I'd drop it now. Webbing and packs don't mix with back acne. It gets really ugly and out of control. Delisted guys before because they couldn't carry because of back acne. Also, tren fucks ur fitness - or so I've read. From what I have read primo would not fuck u aerobically - could be wrong.

Don't know the term "general service officer" but you will be off to duntroon for 9 months if joining as officer rather than basic training for 3 months at kapooka. If your doing duntroon course, scrap that pack humping advice, and go back to proper running. Lots of quick 5 - 10 km runs without gear at duntroon. Bit more relaxed. Less shouting and screaming. More studying.
            Do you know if they test for it Grey? I was thinking of stopping the tren and keeping the test going maybe with some var.

Comment

How would you keep running anything? Don't you have to live at the place for months?

Comment

Originally posted by henrysiek View Post
                Do you know if they test for it Grey? I was thinking of stopping the tren and keeping the test going maybe with some var.
                The strictest testing is on the way in. You mentioned you have your march in date so I assume you have had all your blood tests. If you have upcoming blood tests, cut out everything as they do a decent screen on the way in - i have no idea what they are currently screening for - in 91 they were screening for weed, coccaine and other hard drugs. Once you are in and through basic training, they dont screen much - to scared of how many soldiers they will loose to weed.

Honestly, if you want to have a real crack at SAS, forget about all size and stop everything and go aerobic/strength. Its a 2-3 year ordeal to get through basic, get accepted to try for carter course, get into course and pass. Any other goal will distract you and get in the way.

If you want to join SAS to be gun-ho and kill people, you wont make it through psyche. As wierd as it sounds, thats the exact opposite mindset wanted. Much better option if you are gun-ho is infantry followed by snipper course - you will get what you think you want. If you are this way inclined, I know there is no point trying to say anything but its not what you think it will be.

On the other hand if you are doing this to test yourself, (without being to cliche and corny) do something for your country because you think you will be better at it than the other morons you see walking our streets, then hats off to you and go hard.

Once settled into your unit, whether it be officer/grunt, infantry or ordanance(dont join ordanance - bunch of fat pigs -worse than catering), head to the base gym, and if things havnt changed, there will be at least 1 PT trainer the size of bouncer who will be quite obviously the guy to sort you out.

Its a big step your making and I could rabbit on all day with advice, but Ill leave it at 2 points.
                1. Make sure your doing it for the right reasons and you have clear goals.
                2. Go hard - really hard.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  How would you keep running anything? Don't you have to live at the place for months?
                  wont be running anything accept your ass until you puke during basic or officer training.

Comment

Working...
                  X